• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot Access Google Account

Hello all,

I've used Android Forums before with help with my previous Samsung phones, but never have posted before.

Decided to get the Asus Transformer Prime for my mom for Christmas, but missed the pre-orders so it came today.

Got it unwrapped in a spot without wifi to get the battery charged and when I got it home and connected to the house wifi, I could not add her gmail account (firmware did update). I kept getting the message "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server." I've researched the problem and here's a list of the solutions I've tried, but have not worked.
1) Searched for various simple fixes on the internet and checked out my wifi settings and router's firewall.
2) Checked to make sure the tablet could search the internet which it could and set my time to network time.
3) Tried logging in through the browser which allowed me to login, but got a message that said it could connect to gmail or any good service on the device.
4) Tried to create a new gmail from the tablet, same error.
5) Tried to do a hard reset, did nothing differently.
6) Tried the "You Tube work around", nothing changed.
7) Tried to clear the cache from the Google Account App in the manager.
8) Made sure that Background Data was checked.
9) Disabled 2-Step Verification which didn't help any.

I'm not sure if I need to wait until Thursday for the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade or there is something that I missed. At this point, I'm hoping its something stupid that I've not seen or something that's not enabled.

Thanks for your help,
JC

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones