1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Cannot access Power Options Menu

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jilawrence, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jilawrence

jilawrence Lurker
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    Watford, UK
    Hello all.

Please can someone try and help me with a slight problem that I'm having with my fairly new HTC Desire S.

Usually if you short-press the power button it switches the screen blank into standby, and then a second press will switch it back on. If you press and HOLD, it should bring up the Power Menu with options to restart, shut down or put the phone into airplane mode. However this Power Menu won't appear any more. After a long press it just goes into the standby mode (the same as a short press).

This has only just started happening today since I connected my phone to my PC for a while "mounted as a drive" to access some pictures in my photo gallery. While I was doing this I did also notice two or three redundant folders of apps which I knew had been uninstalled, so deleted these (Evernote, a slot machine game and one other app which I can't remember the name of). I also deleted one word document which I no longer required.

So the only way I can reboot or switch off my phone now seems to be to take the battery out! Fortunately everything else on the phone seems to be working absolutely fine. The power button itself is also physically ok, as once the phone is powered off by taking the battery out, a press of the button switches the phone back on like normal, it's just the pop-up Power Options menu that will no longer appear once the phone is switched on.

Can anyone please help and suggest what I can do to fix this issue? Surely deleting those couple of old apps folders can't have done it? Or perhaps could it have been to do with mounting the phone as a drive? Could a setting somewhere be disabling the Power Options menu function? I haven't done a factory reset yet. Never done one before and not too sure how to back up my data, or if indeed it's necessary to do anyway?

Thanks in advance for help anyone can give.
    My software version is below.

Thanks again,
    James.

Android Version: 2.3.5
    HTC Sense version 3.0
    Network: Tesco (uses O2 UK)
    Taskiller Used?: None
    Are You rooted & which Rom: No

Advertisement

2. Flumme

Flumme Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Sweden
    Try posting here: HTC Desire S - Android Forums

This is the desire section, for a totally different phone.

Factory reset wipes your phone clean: no texts, no call records, no apps, no contacts (if stored locally on phone), no nothing left afterwards. Won't touch sd card content, though, so pics and backups stored there are still okay after.

3. jilawrence

jilawrence Lurker
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    Watford, UK
    Ah yes, apologies! I'm going to do a factory reset first and will then post in the other forum if the problem continues. Thanks.

4. jilawrence

jilawrence Lurker
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    Watford, UK
    Just to let you know... I did a factory reset without any hassle and all appears to be working again now, and I can finally reboot/switch off my phone! :)

Tags: