1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cannot access Web Book from tablet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bogaski, Aug 22, 2012.

1. bogaski

bogaski Newbie

I have a math class that has an ebook that can only be accessed online. Getting to it from a desktop is no problem. However, accessing it from my N7 results in denial that states "this android device not supported." Any way I can access it from my tablet? I checked to see if they had a mobile app version and they did not. Also tried requesting desk top version with no change. I assume my N7 tells them it is a mobile device. Thoughts?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dautley

dautley Android Expert

Fooling the server could be looked upon as piracy and would be in violation of the TOS of this site if the book is copyrighted. As it's a book used in class I'm betting it is.

3. bogaski

bogaski Newbie

No piracy intended or desired. Have paid for web access with publisher. Just that Pearson only plays nicely with desktops.

4. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

May need flash

5. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

Tried different browsers? The dolphin beta I think supports flash

6. dautley

dautley Android Expert

Perhaps you should go through the publisher for support if their ebook server isn't functioning as intended.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Android Enthusiast

A google search seems to imply that Pearson uses technology provided by vitalsource, and the web site for Welcome - VitalSource Bookshelf Support says something about android support. You could give it a try.

8. bogaski

bogaski Newbie

1. The ebook is not downloadable. It can only be read online. Pearson does not have a true ebook version.
    2. Was able to get something on Firefox. However, image was unreadable. You could navigate but all the words were horribly pixilated.
    3. Pearso has app but does not access this text. pp

9. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

I would try using a different browser and then setting the User Agent to 'desktop'. Many third party browsers can do this. I recommend Boat Browser. The default browser (and Chrome) do not do this as effectively when you 'request desktop version' or whatever it's called, as it still accesses the mobile version at times.

I also changed the topic title and your question around a bit to make it not seem like you're looking to steal, but access what you paid for.

bogaski likes this.
  10. bogaski

bogaski Newbie

Looks like the Boat Browser did most the trick. It is readable if not a pain to manipulate their use of flash. I appreciate the help. Also, thanks for changing the title...your like my wife, you tell others what I meant to say! ;-)