1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cannot activate Google Voice from Headset on NEXUS4

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by rontuwilson, Jan 8, 2013.

1. rontuwilson

rontuwilson Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2013
    Hello,

I have never used Android before, today I received my Nexus 4. I was very excited thinking Voice/GoogleNow was far superior then Siri on iPhone. How can I activate voice/GoogleNow while the phone is on lock screen using my headset. It is a 3 button headset, and yes it does work.

While unlocked
    Music Playing works
    Activating google search works

While locked
    Only music features work.

I mainly use my phone when walking, or driving. On iPhone it was easy to activate Siri, I hold the button, it asks me what I want even when the screen is locked and reads back the SMS messages I would like to send using voice. On my nexus, not only does it not read back my messages to me, I cannot seem to activate it while its locked and in my pocket. Making it almost useless when it comes to driving and walking with phone in my pocket. I must be missing something, doing something wrong and I definitely feel I am not alone with this issue. Android must be equipped to do the necessary functions I need.

Thanks ahead of time!

Advertisement

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

Please note "Google Now" and "Google Voice" are two different products.

Google Now and Google Voice Search are both fors sof "Google Search".
    Google Voice is alternative telephone number:

Here is an over view of Google Products: Google Mobile
    Here is an overview of Google Voice: Google Voice - Features

If you have a security lock screen, then you can't use google now.

If you are not using a lock screen password, you can add a shortcut to your lock screen to activate Google Search.

3. vicson88

vicson88 Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2012
    thank you for the reply, I have no removed the lock screen, but still when holding down the middle button of my headset, I get no form of feedback

i am not asking for full siri like features, i would like to itleast make voice calls from my headset in the car, how would i do so?