• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot backup Android phone

I've just gotten a refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910V and haven't even put the SIM card in yet. I did turn on the wifi and have it port in all my Google Play apps via my gmail account. Now I want to back up the whole thing to my PC just in case. I plan to install a new ROM (probably Omega), so backing this thing up first is critically important.

I watched Youtube videos on how to back it up and found a cool Windows-based application named SyncDroid. In fact, I followed all the instructions on how to back up a phone in order to successfully back up my old Moto G that the Note 4 is going to replace. It involved turning on debugging mode. On the Moto G, I turned on debugging mode and then as soon as I plugged the phone into the PC with the sync cable, I got a window on the phone that looked like this:

Phone_Popup_Screen_from_Help_File.gif
(From program's help file.)

I ran the software and the Moto Go got it backed up just fine. Awesome.

Then I tried to do the same thing with the Note 4. With it you turn on the debugging mode a little differently, but I found a Youtube vid on how to do it and followed the instructions exactly. In that one, you go into Settings ==> About Phone and tap that about 8 times until it asks you to turn on Developer options. So after that, it revealed Developer Options in the menu, and I went into it and chose the on button and then the USB debugging check box. Everything cool so far – worked just like the video.

Now here's where I run into problems. When I plug the phone into my computer via USB, I hear both the Windows sound that tells me it sees the device and I hear a verification sound on the phone – that's cool. However, that same authorization box that came up on the Moto G does not pop up (the one in the screen shot above). If I run the SyncDroid software, it can't access the phone's files.

The Windows menu does pop up that offers things to do with the devide, including looking at the files with the File Explorer. However, when I do that, it shows the Samsung phone in the file explorer, but it can't see any of the files. It looks like this:

Android_Files_Unseen.gif

I'm at my wits end. I've tried this over and over and can't get that phone's menu to come up where I allow USB debugging. Why won't that menu come up like it did on the Moto G? If anyone has any ideas on what's going on, I'd appreciate any help. I'm also open to any other suggestions on backing up this phone. I've never installed a ROM on a phone before and want to be really certain I do a good backup first. I also have a Kubuntu Linux PC I could use instead of the Windows one if I might have better results there.

I'm grateful for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones