• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot call number due to calling restrictions, but customer is not a Verizon customer

johninbigd

Android Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2009
This is an interesting problem. I am a Verizon customer and had a Galaxy S6 that I was not using. I found out that it would work in Europe, so I gave it to my girlfriend who lives there. She clearly does not have Verizon service, but her phone company was able to quickly get her phone up and running on their service. The problem I have is that when I try to call her number, I get a message saying that I cannot call her number due to calling restrictions. I've heard this is a Verizon message, so I should not be getting that message since she is not a Verizon customer.

As far as we know, I'm the only person who is not able to call her. SMS works, but calls always fail. I suspect this is an artifact from the me transferring the phone to her. I bet there is some glitch somewhere, but I have no idea where to begin.

Any ideas?

Does the notice come with a code? like 22-2 ? There are a lot of potential causes for this issue. She could have an anonymous call block, unregistered contacts block, could be an international calling issue (I am guessing you live elsewhere). DO you have any friends or family with international calling available that could try calling the number? The first step is identifying if it is an issue on your side or hers.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Does the notice come with a code? like 22-2 ? There are a lot of potential causes for this issue. She could have an anonymous call block, unregistered contacts block, could be an international calling issue (I am guessing you live elsewhere). DO you have any friends or family with international calling available that could try calling the number? The first step is identifying if it is an issue on your side or hers.

I just tried calling her from my home phone and it worked just fine, so I think this is definitely a problem with Verizon. Something must be goofed up because of the transfer of the phone. Maybe Verizon still thinks the phone is on their network or something. I don't know how to proceed with Verizon, though. That could be an interesting problem for them to solve.

Upvote 0
More than likely it is a restriction placed on your account. I would call up customer service /tech support and see if there is a feature restriction on your cell account.

I was able to call her when she had her old phone, the original Nokia from her own provider. It wasn't until after she transferred her service to my old Verizon phone that this problem began, so I'm leaning toward it being a problem related to the way the phone was transferred to her. It's still worth checking into, though. I'll see what I can find out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones