• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot clear Keyboard input on contacts screen

mbeets

Lurker
Oct 13, 2010
Phone: HTC Desire
Android Version: 2.2
Network: Vodacom (South Africa, but not locked to the network)

Issue: Cannot clear text typed on the Contacts (People) screen 'All' tab

I went to the contacts (People) screen, to the All tab.

Without selecting any contact, I held down the Menu button. This brought up the keyboard. I thought this could be another way to search the contacts so I started typing.

The Text appeared in a grey box over the keyboard. When I pressed the enter key on the keyboard nothing happened. The backspace key also does *not* erase any of the letters I've entered.

When I pressed the keyboard away key, the keyboard disappears but the text in the grey box remains floating over my contacts list. I can tap on contacts underneath it but not interact with the box itself.

If I hold down the menu key again, I get the keyboard back and can add more letters to the box but not remove any!

If I go to one of the other tabs (Groups, Online directories, Call History) the box is hidden but it returns when I go back to the All tab.

If I leave the Contacts screen and go back to the home screen the text box goes away only to return when I open the contacts screen again!

Am I missing an obvious trick here to make this text disappear for good? I don't want to have it floating over my contacts for the rest of the time I use the phone. As I said, the backspace key doesn't erase any of the letters that have been typed.

I hope someone has encountered this before. I've attached a photo of the grey text box hovering over the contacts.

Thank you.

Attachments

• HTC_Desire_Contacts_Bug1.JPG
    HTC_Desire_Contacts_Bug1.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 79

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones