• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot connect to home wifi, Samsung Note 2

D

Deleted User

I have a Note 2, which recently updated itself to 4.1.2 (about a week ago)

It's been OK but this morning when I tried searching for something online just kept getting "page cannot be displayed".

After repeated trying I got an SMS from my data provider with "configuration settings" for the internet. Asked if I wanted to install, I said yes, still no internet.

Went to their website, get them to re-send configuration settings.. still no internet.

Then I found, pretty much by accident, that if I turn WiFi off, it works and I can surf the net.

Turn wifi back on - dead.

I checked the wifi settings, told it to "forget" my home wifi, then told it to reconnect, input the passwords, it says it's connected, says the signal is strong... but cannot surf anything anywhere.

Just "page cannot be displayed".

Turn wifi OFF and it surfs again.

Turn wifi back on - dead.

But it says it IS connected to that network and it's a strong signal. It should be a strong signal, it's about 8 inches away from the modem..

While looking online I see a page suggesting "Wifi analyzer" app and some library thing, both are now installed, no difference.

The analyser tells me it's connected yet it will not surf.

I've tried both Boat and the built-in browser.

Any ideas or clues what I can do, apart from shoving it down the throat of a local ISP rep?

Thanks

That both Samsung Notes should have the same problem suggested perhaps a Samsung issue?

And then my wife, in typical wifely fashion, innocently mentioned that she can use WiFi at work...

Yep, rebooted the home modem, now both phones work.

*sigh*

Upvote 0
Then the problem is with your home router.

Try turning it off, leave it a full 30 seconds so completely disconnected at your ISP, then turn it back on again?

It was a wild guess but it fixed both phones here. Somehow the router wasn't communicating properly with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones