• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot Connect to PC

I had NO trouble connecting the ZTE Awe to a PC (Windows 32-bit XP Pro, SP 3) when I first bought it on Black Friday. This was before I activated the phone with Virgin Mobile, moving my phone number association from my older HTC to the Awe.

After activation the Awe was not recognized as a hard drive, I redid the "Install driver" step (on an administrator account).

Now when I try to connect via "Connect to PC software", "Removable Disk (E:)" shows up in Windows Explorer, but when I click on drive E: in Explorer I get the error message, "Please insert a disk into drive E".

When I try to connect via "Media device (MTP)", and "Take no action" to prevent synching with Media player, I get two links added to Windows Explorer, "ZTE MTP Device - Phone" and "ZTE MTP Device - SD card". Clicking on the latter shows the first level of folders on the 32Gb microSD. When I click any of these folders it comes up empty.

I need to see the microSD from the PC to synch the Pimlical calendar app between PC and phone.

i had a similar problem.

i loaded a bunch of music onto an SD card with a SD card reader before putting it into the phone. once i put the card into the phone i couldn't see the contents when i connected the phone to the pc. it was there since i could play the music on the phone, it was just that the PC couldn't see it.

after racking my brains, i notice a little help message on the phone about needing the drivers and windows media player 11.

after upgrading to windows media player 11, then reconnecting the phone, i could then see everything on the PC.

Upvote 0
The Bittorrent Sync app is another option that may work for you. It's what I've been using for the last week or so. After installing on my laptop & my Awe, I actually found it easier to set up than most of the wifi sync apps I've tried.

One big advantage is that you don't have to use it over the same wifi, or even wifi at all! Mobile data works just fine.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for the app, but it's kind of my new favorite. It works really well. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you all for responding with suggestions.

I have been a bit slow on trying solutions (partly from ineptitude and partly from other parts of life screaming for attention).

I think I have a workable solution (with WebDav and WebSharing) that I can use on the private network we already have in my home.

The original question has been answered as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones