• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot connect with WiFi

I just bought a Galaxy Young GT-S6310N this morning. I cannot get it to connect to my home WiFi, even though my other smartphone, a Huawei can connect. My WiFi router is a FritzBox that is 4 years old. I always get a ""authentication error occurred", even when no encryption is enabled! I have tried the following:

1. Used all the encryption methods my router supports.
2. Disabled encryption and just made it open.
3. Reset my router and re-initialized it to factory defaults.
4. Factory reset the device, even though it was fresh out of the box.
5. Tried various static IP addresses.

The MAC address of the device does show up on the router's webpage but it indicates that it is not connected.

Not sure what more to try.

UPDATE:

After spending a day researching this problem, it has now become apparent that Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) is known to have widespread problems with older routers. Any router that is 5 years or older is highly likely to not work with Android 4.2.1 devices. The only solution is to buy a new router. There is no indication from Google that they will address this issue as it has been going on now for well over 6 months.

With a lot of testing and trying out just about everything imaginable, I wasn't sure whether the problem was with Google or Samsung. I was quite certain that it wasn't with my router. In the end, Google alone is to blamed for this mess. Leave it up to this corporate fat belly to mess up years of technology that was running perfectly fine. Go screw yourself Google.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones