• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot deactivate a device administration to delete a fake malware app

KellyDraves

Dec 6, 2014
Hey guys. So while on the internet I was redirected to some page that downloaded to my phone a fake malware app called PhoneBooster. When I tried to uninstall it, the uninstall AND force stop options were blurred out. Everything was blurred out to where I could not touch this app. So then I went into my file manager on my phone and tried to delete it from there but it said it was managed by device administration. I went into there and tried to deactivate the one involving this malware app but it would not even let me. I would click to uncheck the box and it would kick me out of the screen and back into phone settings. I go back into device administrations and the box is still checked. I cannot even disable the device administrations. What can I do to delete this from my phone? Will moving the app totally from my phone's internal storage to my SD card able me to delete the app? Or, since it is one of those apps like the ones you first get built into your phone that you cannot delete, can I just not delete it now? My phone is rooted, in case this information helps. I have a ZTE Awe n800 running 4.1.2. Please help me, this malware is very annoying. Thanks!

Hey guys. So while on the internet I was redirected to some page that downloaded to my phone a fake malware app called PhoneBooster. When I tried to uninstall it, the uninstall AND force stop options were blurred out. Everything was blurred out to where I could not touch this app. So then I went into my file manager on my phone and tried to delete it from there but it said it was managed by device administration. I went into there and tried to deactivate the one involving this malware app but it would not even let me. I would click to uncheck the box and it would kick me out of the screen and back into phone settings. I go back into device administrations and the box is still checked. I cannot even disable the device administrations. What can I do to delete this from my phone? Will moving the app totally from my phone's internal storage to my SD card able me to delete the app? Or, since it is one of those apps like the ones you first get built into your phone that you cannot delete, can I just not delete it now? My phone is rooted, in case this information helps. I have a ZTE Awe n800 running 4.1.2. Please help me, this malware is very annoying. Thanks!
Everybody has a ZTE Awe! Press and hold the power button the two and hold on the power off option the press ok the your phone will reboot into safe mode and then you can remove the app.

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
Maybe you hear ZTE Awe mentioned a lot because this phone causes the most discussion due to its strict policies and whatnot haha. I love my phone, though. And my phone also does not go into safe mode when I put my phone into recovery mode from holding down the volume, power button and home key. Or am I not understanding what safe mode is, because that could be it, too, haha.

Upvote 0
Maybe you hear ZTE Awe mentioned a lot because this phone causes the most discussion due to its strict policies and whatnot haha. I love my phone, though. And my phone also does not go into safe mode when I put my phone into recovery mode from holding down the volume, power button and home key. Or am I not understanding what safe mode is, because that could be it, too, haha.
Find a guide online for how to put a Android into safe mode. If you can get into recovery flash a new ROM and your all set.

Upvote 0
Find a guide online for how to put a Android into safe mode. If you can get into recovery flash a new ROM and your all set.

Oh my goodness I found safe mode. I did not even know you could press and hold the "power off" option for further options and I have had this phone for 2 years. My goodness. Okay so as far as getting to this malware app thing, what do I do to delete that now that I am in safe mode? Sorry for all the dumb questions. Do I just continue going about deleting it through the file manager and deactivating the device administrations for it or can I just now uninstall it from the app info options?

Upvote 0
Oh my goodness I found safe mode. I did not even know you could press and hold the "power off" option for further options and I have had this phone for 2 years. My goodness. Okay so as far as getting to this malware app thing, what do I do to delete that now that I am in safe mode? Sorry for all the dumb questions. Do I just continue going about deleting it through the file manager and deactivating the device administrations for it or can I just now uninstall it from the app info options?
Deactivate it in the devices administrators then uninstall it like a normal all.

Reactions: KellyDraves
Upvote 0
Hey! i have the same problem.. i did put my phone on safe mode and when i pressed deactivate button my phone became black and blank and after sometime it displayed the icons but app was not deactivated.. please help.. ill be grateful.. im trying again and again but same thing happens.. the app has accessed almost all features even read and delete data on sd card.. please someone help

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones