1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Cannot downgrade Incredible 2 after 1-10-12 OTA?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by guitartist, Jan 11, 2012.

1. guitartist

guitartist Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    I recently acquired the Incredible 2, and I have been actively researching the procedures for properly rooting this device. I quickly learned that in order to do so, I must downgrade the DINC2 to 2.3.3 from 2.3.4. Unfortunately, this seems to be easier said than done.

When I removed the DINC2 from the box (2 days ago, Jan 9, 2012) I checked the software version and the other relevant data. About an hour after unboxing the device I received an OTA update.

I have read everything I could find on the xda site about downgrading my device, and I have followed the steps exactly. (As a computer technician by trade, this should be easier for me, but alas, I'm not as good with the phones as I should be...)

I am wondering if anyone is having a problem with downgrading after this recent update.

Please feel free to email me at: 7guitar.guy7@gmail if you've got any good advice...

Advertisement

2. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
  3. ericmtnbkr

ericmtnbkr Member
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Railcar Design Engineer
    Portland, OR
    I tried downgrading and had problems too. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.

I used HTC's boot unlocker and then followed this to get super user and clockworks recovery: [GUIDE] Noob's Guide #6: I just HTC Unlocked, what now? - xda-developers

After that you can flash custom ROM's, and use root required apps like Titanium Backup. For me, that works perfectly. However, you're still not s-off.

If you want to be fully s-off, I'm not the guy to talk to. If you want to be able to get your phone to a point where you can use root required apps and flash ROM's without downgrading, use HTC's unlocker and follow the above link. If you want to be able to flash radios, then you'll need to find a way to get s-off with GB 2.3.4 or find a way to downgrade and then get s-off.

Good luck and let the forums know what you find out :D

4. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    For what it's worth... I just did it last night, and I had the latest OTA.

5. lostlaker24

lostlaker24 Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    hospitality
    Indiana

Same here

6. guitartist

guitartist Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    You two guys that said you did it after the OTA update: did WHAT exactly? Are you saying you used the HTC unlock tool to root, or did you downgrade first? Because I find that the process, while fairly simple, is simply not working.

7. lostlaker24

lostlaker24 Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    hospitality
    Indiana
    I down graded and rooted from 2.3. There are two very helpful videos in the thread about clearing the air in rooting..... used them as guides and was pretty painless from there.

8. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    Yeah, took me under 30 minutes. Sorry to get your emoticon frustrated...

9. guitartist

guitartist Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    ericmtnbkr: thanks for the info. Think I am gonna try it the way you referenced in your post. Because this phone simply will not downgrade. This is actually the second DINC2 I've had in a month. The first one bricked, so I took it back to Wal-Mart/Verizon kiosk, and with my receipt they exchanged it, lol. And the bonus is, it had went on sale, so they refunded me $48.88, plus tax...

10. guitartist

guitartist Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Success! It turns out that the HTC unlock tool was sufficient to gain root access. No more worries!