• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot establish a reliable data connection error

Hi,
I hav bought a new HTC Desire HD android phone. I didnt add a google account in the beginning as I didnt have any GPRS or WiFi connection. Later when i tried to create a gogle account, I got the error as :

"cannot establish a reliable data connection".

I have done all the clear cache and clear data stuff.

Please Help ASAP

Hi,
I hav bought a new HTC Desire HD android phone. I didnt add a google account in the beginning as I didnt have any GPRS or WiFi connection. Later when i tried to create a gogle account, I got the error as :

"cannot establish a reliable data connection".

I have done all the clear cache and clear data stuff.

Please Help ASAP

Hi there.

Don't know what the problem directly is. But try to create a Gmail account first on a computer. Then try to connect your phone to this account, instead of trying to create an account via the phone. Sometimes those servers can mess a bit up, and it's "hard" to make an account via a device like that.

Hopefully it will connect to the account once it's created on the PC :)

Upvote 0
No. Actually I have a Gmail account. When I tried to add that account in my phone via Settings->Accounts & Sync -> Add Account, I am getting that error that I have quoted. I came accross many forums in which this question was posted. but noone gave a promising solution.

Some say to do a hard reset and some asks me to try connecting to a wifi network.. All I fear is, if I do a hard reset and if it doesnt work even then I'll be worried more!!!

Upvote 0
Hmm.

Well, my DHD refuses to let apps and systems access data, unless im on a 2g or 3g connection.

So be sure you got a sure, good, stable connection (see a 3g or a H in the task bar on the top of the phone, beside the "connection bars") before you click connect.

Other than this, I am not sure... :(

Upvote 0
Did you have a look at this site? Android: Can’t establish a reliable data connection to the server | Android | Tech-Recipes
Actually the comments at the bottom of the article are more useful then the article itself!

Cheers and let us know it any of this works!

Another weird solution, but it might just help :

Suggest that you try this recently discovered solution for problem adding gmail accounts to Android phone.

Thanks, vicw926a4! The solution you pointed to works! http://oonwoye.com/2010/07/29/my-android-problem-and-a-case-for-proprietary-over-opensource/

"Just try signing into the YouTube app with the account you want to sync and it will automatically add it to the list of your accounts." (Make sure you sign in to the YouTube app, rather than the website. I tried signing in to the website only and that didn't work.

Reactions: yoovi4u
Upvote 0
Forgive my ignorance.. Can we do that??? Can we use the computers internet connection for phone??

Yes.

Hehe, no problem with your ignorance :p :D.

Connect your phone to your computer by using the USB cable that followed in your box.

When your phone detects it's connected to the computer, standard settings are that the phone will then pop up a window asking what you want to do. Then chose "Internet Pass-Through" (bottom option), and wait about 20 seconds. Hey presto, and your phone should have internet =D! (this does require that you have installed the HTC sync app I think, as the program probably has some drivers that are needed by the phone).

It can also go the other way. If you need internet on your laptop, and have a good signal (3g or Wifi) on the phone, then just connect and chose the option called "USB tethering". Wait 20 secs, and then you should be online (requires again the HTC sync app to be installed, I think).

If however, this pop-up on the phone don't come, connect the phone to the computer, then go: Home screen -> Options -> Wireless & Networks -> scroll all the way down and the bottom two options are the ones described :D

Hope you get your google account set up soon =(. But yea, as stated in earlier posts by me, I think the default of HTC is to block application access if you dont have 3g, H or wifi on. At least my phone will refuse to connect to anything "speed" demanding if I don't have those. Good luck :)

Reactions: yoovi4u
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones