1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Cannot flash back my boot img

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LostHawk, Nov 30, 2011.

1. LostHawk

LostHawk Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    My Phone: EVO 4g with cyanogenmod
    I tried to flash to a sense rom (Revolutionary) after doing a full backup using clockworkmod for my cyanogenmod rom.

After clearing everything i flash to the revolutionary rom and it boots up to the bootloader. If i select reboot, it will simily reboot me back to the bootloader. No matter what I can only boot back to the bootloader OR recovery with clockworkmod.

At this point I decide to just go back to my backup img....i try flashing the whole thing and it fails to flash the boot (this is after clearing everything multiple times; system, data, cache, boot, divyak, etc).

I then try to flash each individual part of the recovery...each part woulds other than the boot. Every time i try to flash the boot it fails

Some additional info:
    My Bootloader looks like this:

-Revolutionary-
    SUPERRSONIC EVT2-2 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT-6.16.1002
    MIC...

FASTBOOT
    BOOTLOADER (this goes to the bootloader menu)
    REBOOT (this reboots back to the bootloader)
    REBOOT BOOTLOADER
    POWER DOWN

------------------------

the bootloader menu:

HBOOT

FASTBOOT (goes back to fastboot menu)
    RECOVERY (goes to clockworkmod)
    CLEAR STORAGE
    SIMLOCK
    HBOOT USB

ANy help would be greatly appriciated...can't figure out what to do at this point

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Welcome to Android Forums, LostHawk.

I've moved your thread for you. Let's see how the responses to your questions come here in the EVO 4G Support area.

LostHawk likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    sorry to move you around like this, but i moved you to the rooting section. guys with root experience can help you out.

as long as you have recovery you are good to go.

so you say you can't restore you nandroid backup? and i'm not sure what you mean by revolutionary rom. is that the stock rom you are talking about?

4. LostHawk

LostHawk Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    A slight update on this topic:

I am able to do advanced recovery via clockworkmod allowing me to individually recover each part of the flash img.

I recovered EVERY part (system, cache, data) with no problem. The only one that does not work is the BOOT. every time it fails to flash the boot. This is driving me crazy since everythign is set up properly, I just need to get passed the boot loader screen!

THANKs in advance!

5. LostHawk

LostHawk Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi, no problem.

I cannot do a full restore via clockworkmod of my nandroid backup. It fails every time when trying to flash the bootloader. It works fine for every other part of the recovery (I showed this by doing an advanced recovery and individually flashing each part).

Also Revolutionary rom is justa custom sense rom, i was going to use this just to update my PRL and my Profile; as i was having some texting issues...then I was going to flash back to my backedup nandroid of cyanogenmod.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    You need to re-flash a ROM. If you just giong to update PRL PRofile ect I would just download any of the sense ROM from out ROM & Kernel download sticky. I am not familiar with the revolutionary ROM.

Also, while your at it many would suggest using amon ra to prevent problems like this from wiping not occuring correctly

Also, what was your wiping procedure before flashing?

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    ok so first of all i would think about switching recoveries to amon ra. it is a much better recovery. another idea is to install the amon ra style recovery. the main advantage is that it can use both amon ra and clockwork mod nandroid backups.

8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    you should skip the recovery process and just try to flash a new rom. If your having recovery issues there could be many reasons for it. However one thing you do not want to do is restore an AOSP boot process trying to run a Sense ROM or Vice Versa. You are not the only person I have seen come in here with nandroid problems with CWM. I would highly recommend Amon RA 3.08 its a much much much better recovery.

I at this time would just try to Flash a ROM and get things going from there.

Also Note that the Advanced restore isn't to restore each peice individually its incase there is an issue with lets say data then you could go back to that data nandroid and just restore that instead of the whole system. It was not intended for what your trying to do.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    The new frog image is throwing me off Argedion... :D

Anyway you can download the newest amon Ra v 3.08 supersonic Here.

Direct download here
    Rename to PC36IMG and put on the root of your SD card

10. LostHawk

LostHawk Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok thanks for all the advise guys. Per your advise, I will try downloading a new stable version of cyanogenmod, put it on my sd, and flash to it after wiping my data. later i will look into aman ra.

Will let you know how this goes!

argedion and Rxpert83 like this.
  11. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    sorry about that was just time for a face lift :eek::eek::eek:

12. LostHawk

LostHawk Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks guys, i just flashed strait to a new cyanogen mod, worked like a charm. now i'm going to see if i can get my data back. i guess ill skip the PRL and profile update for now until i get aman ra set up

argedion likes this.
  13. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    That is a pretty scarey looking amphibian you got there....

Add my vote to using the Amon Ra Style 3.08 recovery. It is a keeper, and, as I think was mentioned, you are supposed to be able to restore both cwm and amon ra nands with it.

A question, just what IS the selective restore feature in it for and what is 'adb in recovery'?

tia

ocnbrze and argedion like this.
  14. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    Like I originally stated its there so you can just restore a section instead of doing a full restore. Lets say you are messing with some settings and reboot but it just goes into a bootloop you could "Theoretically just restore the "System" then be able to go back to the way it was before the system setting you put in that didn't work. Only real issue I see with this is someone trying to restore data from one ROM on to Another because they forgot to back something up. This would cause Havac on the phone.

I'm not sure about the adb never messed with it.

dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  15. LostHawk

LostHawk Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2011
    So just to give a final update. I flashed to cyanogen and it worked but my apps were all screwed up. I flashed again to cyanogen mod (after wiping) and one by one (in advanced recovery) flashed all the recovery files other than the boot. Worked like a charm :)

Thanks guys!

argedion likes this.
Tags: