• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot get Android Auto to display on car screen!

Ron T

Lurker
Mar 5, 2019
New Subaru Outback, LG Aristo2 with up to date OS, wife has the same phone and hers works. The Subaru has Starlink 8" multimedia head unit with AA preinstalled.
at first, I could not get AA to launch on my phone, I got a message indicating that Google play services was not working. I solved that by installing a beta version. AA opens but I cannot get it to display on the car's screen. I got to work ONE time, next morning it would not work. When the usb is plugged in, one of the messages says "do not disturb" is on! That seems strange to me.
Numerous uninstall/reinstall cycles have been tried.
My carrier is different from hers. I use Red Pocket and she uses Tmobile, could that be a factor? I don't think so, but what do I know?

I'm thinking this may be a issue with Google play services.
Can you install it without it being beta?
No. Well, I could install it but it would not open. That's when I would get the message "sorry but Google play services is not working right now". The only update available was this new beta version. After that, I was able to open the app. I might as well try to revert to the latest non-beta version, if I can figure out how :)

Upvote 0
Update.
Numerous restarts, uninstall/install of AA, factory reset of the phone, all permissions allowed and still no joy with getting my main phone to work. I get a message indicating that the smartphone connection failed.
I give up! My old phone works fine but has less internal memory which is why I would rather use it. I have also connected a couple of other phones to the car with no problem. I'm stubborn and hate to throw in the towel, but I must accept defeat on this one.

Reactions: travissamp12
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones