1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Cannot get Bluetooth file transfer to PC to work!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by a01, Aug 5, 2013.

1. a01

a01 Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2013
    After hours of frustration and searching, I cannot get Bluetooth file transfer to work from the phone to the PC. :(

I am trying to do Bluetooth file transfers between a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.1.2 and a laptop running Windows 7 64-bit. The devices pair just fine, and Bluetooth file transfers work from the PC to the phone. But for some reason the "Share via Bluetooth" option to transfer a file from the phone to the PC doesn't work at all!! :mad: All files fail to transfer almost immediately, showing "Connection failed" in the transfer history. I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the devices, and searching all the settings and Web advice, to no avail. People on Web forums seem to have similar issues, and various people seem to speculate blaming Samsung or Verizon for having removed or omitted necessary support, but no one seems to have provided a definitive root cause or troubleshooting path.

Has anyone ever successfully done a Bluetooth file transfer from a Samsung Galaxy Note II device to a computer? Is it even possible or heard of for this to be done, or is it specifically known that this cannot be done? Does anyone know what the possible root cause might be that the file transfer would not work in that one direction, and how this could be resolved or troubleshooted? :thinking:

(Please do not suggest that I use USB. USB already works in my case, but I want to use Bluetooth for wireless file transfers.)

Advertisement

2. vosg

vosg Android Expert
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    I never got it working either. I use a SMB solution now, over wifi. There are many file managers that support SMB out of the box, like Solid Explorer.

3. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    I have no issues with Bluetooth. I can transfer files to/from the Note 2 using Win 7 on my desktop. Only issue I have is the very slow transfer speeds with Bluetooth. Wi-Fi is much faster for file transfers.

If you are using Bluetooth, make sure your computer allows receiving of files from the connected device. There should be a bubble notification that appears when this happens. Click on it and select the appropriate response. For this session only, connect for x minutes or allow always. If you do not select one of these the connection will terminate and the file transfer will not go through. You have a 10 seconds window to reply to this.

4. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Me too. Once I got Solid Explorer, never looked back as far as wireless file transfers were concerned.

When it comes to a lot of file transfers, I always connect my phone though.

5. mfwills

mfwills Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2012
    This is a relatively recent issue for me. I have always had fairly reliable 2-way BT performance between my Mac and my LG phone, except for having to restart one or both to make it work. Suddenly, while I can send from the Mac to the phone, I can't send go in the opposite direction. BT headsets work fine.

Same issue exists between phone and Asus tablet. Used to work fine.

6. womb raider

womb raider Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    I'm using a Mac but have no problems sending files via Bluetooth from my phone (and vice versa).

7. vermontish

vermontish Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2014
    Now that's what I call helpful.