• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cannot get phone into sleep mode, however I try.

jimeller

Android Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2009
East Riding
Over the last week or so I've been obsessed with trying to get my hero into sleep mode, in order to save battery. For those who don't know about this, there are many threads around the net telling of a fix for the messages bug, which prevents the phone entering sleep. It's supposed to reduce CPU usage, thus saving battery.

Now, I've followed the methods of many people who claim to have done this successfully, down to a tee, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work. For some reason my awake time is always at 100%.

It's now at the pont of driving me mad, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried and failed to do the fix. If anyone needs background info on this problem, I'll post a link up later, as I'm sending this via my phone at the minute.

Having the phone NOT enter sleep time will consume more battery wouldn't it?

Are you sure it's not something simple like Settings - Sound & Display - Screen Time Out and changing that back to one/two minutes? (It might be set to Never Timeout which is the only way I know of preventing the phone from sleeping)

Also, pressing the hang up/power off button once puts it in standby/sleep mode.

Are people still having the text issue?

Upvote 0
Having the phone NOT enter sleep time will consume more battery wouldn't it?

Are you sure it's not something simple like Settings - Sound & Display - Screen Time Out and changing that back to one/two minutes? (It might be set to Never Timeout which is the only way I know of preventing the phone from sleeping)

Also, pressing the hang up/power off button once puts it in standby/sleep mode.

Are people still having the text issue?

It's not a text issue, but a battery issue where the stock message app prevents the phone from entering sleep mode when the screen is off. It's a known bug and there are a couple of threads about it on the sprint hero forum.
To view your phone awake/sleep times go settings> about phone> status and scroll to the bottom. Normally it should read approx 10-20% awake time, but mine reads 100% despite the sms 'fix' being performed.

I even tried a hard reset which worked, but I had issues with market not working so I had to do a nandroid restore and now I'm back to square one....

Upvote 0
It's not a text issue, but a battery issue where the stock message app prevents the phone from entering sleep mode when the screen is off. It's a known bug and there are a couple of threads about it on the sprint hero forum.
To view your phone awake/sleep times go settings> about phone> status and scroll to the bottom. Normally it should read approx 10-20% awake time, but mine reads 100% despite the sms 'fix' being performed.

I even tried a hard reset which worked, but I had issues with market not working so I had to do a nandroid restore and now I'm back to square one....

With handcent/chompSMS installed, did you at any point start Messages? Apparently if it is started at all the bug will kick in and a reboot is needed.

Upvote 0
With handcent/chompSMS installed, did you at any point start Messages? Apparently if it is started at all the bug will kick in and a reboot is needed.

Haven't touched it at all since installing handcent. I've also uninstalled taskiller. There is something else preventing it from working. Hard reset worked, but then I had other problems.....

Upvote 0
The only way to go then is....

Remove all shortcuts and widgets from all 7 home screens, and reboot.
Kill all unnecessary processes with taskiller.

Check awake time, press "end call" button to send to sleep. Check again in 5 minutes.

Add previous widgets one at a time and sleep for 5 between each one?

That's how I zeroed in on the Messages widget that (while never having started Messages manually) was preventing proper sleep.

Perhaps there's a different widget doing the same thing for you.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem having spents hours (like a lot of you guys) trying to sort out this battery life/sleep/sms issue.

Decided in the end yesterday to do a factory reset and run it on default apps for a day or so (excluding sms which I swapped for Handcent). Awake time went down to 20-30% and I once again thought I'd cracked it. Then it started creeping up and up, and today it's back to 80%. And I can tell by the hour count that it's no longer sleeping ... and thus the battery life is still lasting less than 12 hours with minimal use. This is unnacceptable, especially on a default config - and with the USB sync'ing hardly ever picking up too. Am going to complain to the shop I bought it from and try for a replacement. I think there must be a hardware issue in there somewhere, or something that gets written to the SD card that causes something to go haywire. If they don't do anything then I'll write to HTC. It's just taking too much of my time and is soon going to become unusable.

Sorry for the rant - I'm just fed up.

SM

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem having spents hours (like a lot of you guys) trying to sort out this battery life/sleep/sms issue.

Decided in the end yesterday to do a factory reset and run it on default apps for a day or so (excluding sms which I swapped for Handcent). Awake time went down to 20-30% and I once again thought I'd cracked it. Then it started creeping up and up, and today it's back to 80%. And I can tell by the hour count that it's no longer sleeping ... and thus the battery life is still lasting less than 12 hours with minimal use. This is unnacceptable, especially on a default config - and with the USB sync'ing hardly ever picking up too. Am going to complain to the shop I bought it from and try for a replacement. I think there must be a hardware issue in there somewhere, or something that gets written to the SD card that causes something to go haywire. If they don't do anything then I'll write to HTC. It's just taking too much of my time and is soon going to become unusable.

Sorry for the rant - I'm just fed up.

SM

Regarding your poor battery life, are you running taskiller or any of the task managers??

I uninstalled taskiller(paid) and another free one, and although i'm still running at 100%, my battery has seemed to improved somewhat. not sure if its linked...

Upvote 0
The only way to go then is....

Remove all shortcuts and widgets from all 7 home screens, and reboot.
Kill all unnecessary processes with taskiller.

Check awake time, press "end call" button to send to sleep. Check again in 5 minutes.

Add previous widgets one at a time and sleep for 5 between each one?

That's how I zeroed in on the Messages widget that (while never having started Messages manually) was preventing proper sleep.

Perhaps there's a different widget doing the same thing for you.

having re-read your instructions above, its occured to me that i dont use, and never have used the message "widget". only the shortcut on my homescreen. the widgets i do use are calendar, email, bookmarks, google search, battery widget and wi-fi/bluetooth/mobile internet widgets. and the native weather widget.

Upvote 0
Hello All --- new with my Hero, only two days at this point, but noticed that I have not used the MESSAGES widget at all (never installed it) --- and I am not having the problem with the indicated up and down times.

Wondering what resets the values -- when do they start counting again?? Does it require a hard reset, or does a soft reset do the trick and the up and down times start getting measured again????

Thanks for the info --- Regards --- :D

Upvote 0
Regarding your poor battery life, are you running taskiller or any of the task managers??

I uninstalled taskiller(paid) and another free one, and although i'm still running at 100%, my battery has seemed to improved somewhat. not sure if its linked...

Yeah, I've been running Adv Taskiller (up until yesterday's reset anyway) but that made no difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones