• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot get rid of root

spierian

Lurker
Jun 14, 2018
I foolishly rooted my Galaxy S6 after 3 years of use. My phone then started reporting "unauthorised actions have been detected. Restart phone to undo these actions" This did not work. I then tried to unroot the phone using first kingo then a couple of other apps. All said "your phone is not rooted". But the security messages continued. Finally I did a factory reset - the security messages continued.

The practical effect is that my banking app refuses to work. Their helpdesk says it will not work on a rooted device.

Can anyone help me get out of this?

You should be able to flash the stock firmware with Odin if it is available for your model number.
If your banking app is only looking at root access, you might be good to go.
A lot of things have changed in the past few years. Rooting a Samsung device Tripps Knox Security and cannot be reset. Certain Samsung apps will not work even if you return to stock. Phone might not pass Safety Net check at the Play Store and list your phone as Uncertified.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones