• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot get some apps on market

I keep getting annoyed as I want to download some cool apps like Instagram and I am told by the market that my phone is not compatible. I rooted the phone and loaded the playfulmod 1.1 with all the bloatware removed, but it is the metro pcs 2.2.2 version for the most part. I needed to have the headset work so I used that version.

What can I do to make my phone compatible again to get these newer apps. Even some that I have had are no longer useable, luckily I had an older version of the app stored on my sd card and installed that way.

Thanks for any help.

Ur rooted so u can try editing ur build.prop to some other phone model so as to trick google play that ur phone is compatible. And then, bam u can download the apps u want!

sent from my rooted gingerbread GT-B7510 using tapatalk

I have no idea how to do that, I am a very basic person on the phone, I was walked through everything for rooting my phone.

:thinking:

Upvote 0
Put in the NEXUS & SAMSUNG,just as the man did in the YOU-TUBE video.

Then,change everything back after you download the app that you want.

I'm no expert by any stretch,but,I'm pretty sure you could leave these changes in w/o any harm.Some here have actually received e-mails from GOOGLE congratulating us on our purchase of the SAMSUNG NEXUS S.This was in part,I believe,due to some build.prop information identifying our CM7 ASCENDS as a NEXUS S,as the CM7 ROM is more than likely based on the official CM7 &/or stock GINGERBREAD for the NEXUS S.

But,to err on the side of caution,you may want to change it back to the original info.

If you do a bit more searching here in this forum,others have changed the build.prop info for other reasons as well,perhaps for the same reason as you need to.

Check out ShinySide's posts,(relative to the ASCEND FORUM),I believe you may find something there,among a lot of other useful information from ShinySide.;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I have looked at a few, looks very easy but I have one more question, what phone should I use for my ascend, I don't want to mess my phone up by downloading something that really should not be downloaded.
Any suggestions that would work best for the ascend?

The worst that would probably happen is the application simply wouldn't work(Force Close),such as games that only work w/TEGRA 2 processors.

I've downloaded a couple of apps (long ago, can't remember what ) that fit this category,but one that I remember was the PBA BOWLING, it was just too much for the ASCEND to handle, since this phone doesn't have a dedicated GPU.

Upvote 0
I changed the build.prop file but it still says my phone is an ascend. I am using the playful mod rom that is FROYO with all the ascend stuff from Metro PCS but all the bloatware taken out. Is there anything else in the file I need to change, I changed the manufaturer to samsung and the brand to samsung, but it still says my phone is a ascend m860. I need some help, I just want to use instagram!!!!

Upvote 0
I changed the build.prop file but it still says my phone is an ascend. I am using the playful mod rom that is FROYO with all the ascend stuff from Metro PCS but all the bloatware taken out. Is there anything else in the file I need to change, I changed the manufaturer to samsung and the brand to samsung, but it still says my phone is a ascend m860. I need some help, I just want to use instagram!!!!

Yes, watch the video once again,it shows how to change the device name.

Also try this:

Re-flash the ROM, but do not register the phone w/the GOOGLE account yet.
Make the build.prop changes first, then register your phone w/GOOGLE.

This way, GOOGLE will see your phone as a NEXUS, & you should be able to load INSTAGRAM.

One other thing you may want to do afterwards :
Go to the GOOGLE PLAY STORE on your desktop PC & find your devices listed.

You'll probably find your device listed numerous times, due to the repeated flashing of various ROMS or, if even if you remained stock & performed a factory reset, your device will be listed again on each reset/ROM flash.

Delete all except the latest listed device. This may clear up any confusion w/GOOGLE PLAY STORE as to what it sees your device as.

If you have an AMAZON ANDROID APPSTORE account, you'll want to do the same thing there.

Reactions: neo_the_one
Upvote 0
You need to change both ro.manufacturer and ro.model to the ones you like and then go to settings>apps>market>clear cache> and reboot.
And voila, everthing will be fine bro.
Cheers!

Thanks, it did work and now my phone says it is a Samsung Nexus, but I still cannot get Instagram, not sure exactly what part of the ROM won't let it download, but I am bummed still. I do not want to use another Rom, I need use of my headset and camera and the other roms I have tried do not give me that opportunity. Just not understanding what is missing from this ROM that Instagram needs.

I also cannot get Shopkick to install, says incompatible with my phone also even named Samsung Nexus S.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear it!!:D

Upvote 0
Thanks, it did work and now my phone says it is a Samsung Nexus, but I still cannot get Instagram, not sure exactly what part of the ROM won't let it download, but I am bummed still. I do not want to use another Rom, I need use of my headset and camera and the other roms I have tried do not give me that opportunity. Just not understanding what is missing from this ROM that Instagram needs.

I also cannot get Shopkick to install, says incompatible with my phone also even named Samsung Nexus S.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would love to hear it!!:D

The description of INSTAGRAM states that ANDROID DEVICES running 2.2 & up that support OPEN GL ES2 are compatible.*
Not sure if the OPEN GL part is what is causing the problem.
Maybe just try loading CM7 for troubleshooting purposes to see if INSTAGRAM will then load.
If it does, then, it's a problem w/2.2 based ROMS (PLAYFUL MOD, CM6).
If it won't load at all, then, it's the phone hardware that's limiting you.
If you're still stuck, just shoot the developer of INSTAGRAM an e-mail or check out their website,if applicable.

*Just did a little bit of GOOGLING (Does the HUAWEI ASCEND support OpenGL ES 2?) ,looks like the hardware of the HUAWEI ASCEND will not support INSTAGRAM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones