1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cannot hear from earpiece (phone) after 2.0.1 Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g-funkster, Dec 9, 2009.

1. g-funkster

g-funkster Lurker

I cannot hear audio from the earpiece (for example, hearing others on the phone) until I reboot. I can hit the speaker button and hear them. This occurred only after updating to 2.0.1. In fact, it has happened 4 times since 6AM yesterday when I did the update.

Can anyone confirm? I listen to music with regular non-bluetooth earbuds, no mic. Perhaps related. Any music listeners on 2.0.1 experiencing this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gregroberti

gregroberti Newbie

I have not been updated yet, but that's scary...

3. footballboy3

footballboy3 Lurker

yep same problem here. I knew I should've waited. this sux.

4. chuk1005

chuk1005 Member

I have not come across this issue.

5. johninbigd

johninbigd Android Enthusiast

I've made two phone calls since the update. The first person couldn't hear me. The second heard me fine. I could hear both of them with no problem.

6. cc16177

cc16177 Newbie

I also had the problem where I could only hear on speakerphone... will hard resetting restore back to before the update?

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I forced the update and do not have this issue. HUH.

8. g-funkster

g-funkster Lurker

No. Unfortunately we have to wait for a fix.

9. v-6 nolo

v-6 nolo Member

had this problem yesterday, 3 calls to the same person and had to use the speaker phone. Power cycled and went back to normal for now..

10. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Newbie

I started noticing this BEFORE the update. For the first week or so after I bought the phone, I could answer calls with the phone plugged into my car stereo, and the other person came through the speakers and they could hear me fine, hands-free. Now, I can still hear them but they can't hear me. No difference before or after the update. Anyone have a fix??

11. g-funkster

g-funkster Lurker

The Treos, Motorola Qs and Blackberries I've owned did what you're describing. I loved it. I could leave my headphones on and speak into the phone and they could hear me. It's very disappointing that I cannot leave my headphones plugged in and speak in to the Droid's mic.

However that's a different issue than the one discussed in this thread. But I sympathize!

12. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Newbie

I'm just wondering why it worked for a while and then, suddenly, this capability went away. Unless there was a pre-2.0.1 push that I didn't know I was installing....but I doubt it.

13. odiej34

odiej34 Android Enthusiast

I had the same problem as well, the caller on the other end could not hear me untill I went to speaker phone. Time to exchange it for another. Can Verizon tell i forced the update?
    OP did you force the update or did just download to your droid?

14. g-funkster

g-funkster Lurker

I did not force it. Got it the first night over the air.

15. Nissan1973

Nissan1973 Member

The first call of the day the person couldnt hear me for about the first 8 or so seconds of the call then its been fine since, I didn't think anything of it until I cam across this thread.

16. jfp

jfp Lurker

Im having the same problem- I didnt think about it until you said it was after the update. If I call someone , the only way I can hear them is on speaker phone- I was trying to use my wired ear buds (with mic) for making phone calls. I havent been able to get them to work when talking, but I can hear the other caller- something is related, I thought it might be the internet radio app I installed, but I removed it and am still having the same problem. I was about to reset all my settings, but didnt want to lose the apps Ive purchased. Ive tried every setting I can think of, the phone rings, but when I pick it up, I have to hit speakerphone to talk. also, does anyone know how to keep the phone keyboard lit up all the time during a call? Each time I put it up to my ear, it goes black (to save battery life I guess). For my job, Im always having to punch in different access codes, options etc. and its kind of a pain when it goes black, then I have to hit keyboard, then the access code, etc. Ive tried keeping the background lit up all the time, but it still goes off and on when I bring it up and down from my ear-
    please, if anyone knows anything about the earplugs/speaker phone or black screen issue, please help. I really like these ear phones because you can hear the caller through both ears, unlike my bluetooth headphones- where you have music in both ears, but the phone caller is only heard through one ear. I know its not the safest way to drive, etc. but without them I cant hear over my loudmouth wife, the screaming kids & their music, the dog barking and an old crappy car with a hole in the muffler, and the typical South MS pickup truck which will damage your hearing with the double glass packs and country music wide open at every corner- I made my bed so I must lye in it, but need help blocking it out sometimes! thanks

17. genoajh

genoajh Lurker

Having earpiece issue, here are my circumstances:
    -Worked after update
    -Stopped after using as MP3 player to car using AUX input to head unit. This was the first time I put anything onto the phone from my PC
    -*Worked temporarily when I turned TTY mode to FULL, then stopped.
    -Rebooting does not help in my case
    -Speakerphone works fine, people can hear me on the other end

18. schnarfer

schnarfer Lurker

I posted it in another thread on this site but I too am having the speaker problems. Not only the "ear" speaker but the external speaker too. It temporarily fixes itself when I reboot the phone. And yes, it only started after the update.

19. pwnosaur

pwnosaur Lurker

I've had the SAME problem! When I go to speaker phone, they cannot hear me. However, without speaker phone it works fine. Especially in a VoIP call when the droid is in (media) I went today and exchanged the phone.. the tech upgraded the phone before I had a chance to stop her :(
    this one does the same thing.. How disappointing. I have not figured out a fix as of yet.

20. schnarfer

schnarfer Lurker

I hear there will be another upgrade in January so maybe there will be a patch. My problem is inconsistent in it's presentation.

21. JSimmons

JSimmons Lurker

I've found a quick plug in and unplug of wired headphones brings the phone earpiece back.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a new patch!
    I need my phone for phone purposes, too!

22. schnarfer

schnarfer Lurker

Yeah, I found that it had something to do with me plugging the phone in to the auxiliary jack in my car.

23. footballboy3

footballboy3 Lurker

Yeah I just figured this out also. I had a similar problem with my macbook pro. its the jack not switching back to external speaker/earpiece correctly. Just plug in a headphone jack and fully seat it and pull it out normally.

24. Razor013

Razor013 Lurker

Best of Luck Same here let me know if you find the answer !!!

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews