• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot install Gmail and Google Maps on Rooted Desire

droidzone

Android Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2010
India
I've rooted my HTC Desire with Unrevoked, running Clockworkmod Recovery ROM and AuraxTSense on top.

I've noted that I cannot install the latest versions of Gmail and Google Maps from the Market.

After the whole download gets over, it gives me a message "Installation unsuccessful"

Edit: I've tried downloading the .apk. But installation of even that fails.

Has it anything to do with my custom ROM or with rooting? Can anybody suggest a workaround?

It sounds like the Rom may already have an.update installed on the system partition. Maybe not the same update as you are trying to install.

Many find have an updated gmail. Mine did.

I.had to remove gmail before I could,install the latest version.

Easiest way? Edit the zip file of your Rom. In the zip, go to system/app and locate and delete these 3 .apk files, then reflash it over your current Rom with no wipe.

Reactions: droidzone
Upvote 0
Whooo..

You hit the nail right on the head! :p It worked. Gmail [edited: but not Maps] has been downloaded and installed from the Market successfully.

When the ROM rebooted after flashing, to my surprise I found that I had not been running AuraxTsense at all, but rather NextSense (same dev though). Thankfully, it didnt (apparently) corrupt any of my data or installs though it was a different ROM! :D

Upvote 0
I thought Maps had also installed fine, but it did not. Gmail installed with this method, but Maps did not.

Install from Market, and install from downloaded apk failed.

I have tried the previous method, and also some other methods including a method from the Droidlife forum Google Maps 4.3 Fix for Droid Froyo Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

And there is a strange thing, which probably is at the root of the problem. My system/app does not contain a Maps.apk! Even viewing with Root Explorer or Astro fails to show it. And if I use the command "rm system/app/Maps.apk" after mounting as su, it tells me that "The folder or file is not empty".

Edit: My problem was because I had Brut Google Maps mod as part of the Neophyte ROM. Guess uninstalling it will help solve the issue, but right now, I can't seem to be able to uninstall it. I tried from system, the Market does not allow a reinstall.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Finally removed Brut Maps.

These were the steps I followed:

Before you start, make sure that right now the system is flashed with the version of Maps and Navigation that comes along with the ROM, and that you have NOT tried reflashing after removing the Maps.apk. It won't work in that case!
1. Installed the latest version of Brut Google Maps (over and above the Maps.apk that came installed with the problematic ROM) over my ROM.
2. Used Titanium Backup to uninstall following two files (Hint: Use the filter option of TB, using "brut" as filter):
1. Maps 4.4.0-brut16
2. Maps [brut] 4.4.0-brut16
4. Immediately rebooted to Recovery
5. Wiped the dalvik cache (ClockworkModRecovery>Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache)
6. Rebooted
Install an older version of Google Maps apk. Try the one that comes with any Non-Neophyte ROMs
7. Now Install the latest Google Maps from Market.

Still doesnt work? Install older Google apps, detach and reattach to market with Titanium. It may now work with the Market download

Voila! It worked! I haven't seen these steps listed in any forum, but your hints helped along with solutions to some previous issues. Hopefully it will help some other poor soul stuck with the old Google Maps from Neophyte!

Upvote 0
Would you mind answering one more qn?

I was trying to get a list of the apk files in /system/app to include it here, but couldnt get the correct format of ls for piping

I tried piping ls > /sdcard/c.txt which seemed to work in adb while in recovery, but then the file disappeared after rebooting.

Is it possible to mount system, and then pipe the output of ls to a text file in Windows?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones