1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

cannot make calls/send texts in certain area

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by akira68wk, Feb 11, 2016.

1. akira68wk

akira68wk Lurker

Hello
    I have a Droid Ultra with Verizon
    This morning I am unable to send or receive texts
    Also, I cannot make calls or receive them
    However, I can access my apps and the internet
    I am not in airplane mode
    I am connected to a wi-fi network that I use every day
    I turned it off and on and removed sim card and put it back in

This is a follow up question: I now have figured out that I can make calls/ send texts about 20 ft away from my normal work area. At my work area, I have always had good reception/service and phone has never had any problems up until yesterday. Other people in my work area who have the same service provider haven't had any problems. I am the only one.

Does anyone know if I accidentally changed a setting or why this would happen all of a sudden in an area where I have always had service?
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Classic symptom of being in a tunnel or in a cave, and the wired in Wifi works just fine...
    ie, a hospital basement....

Verizon's cell towers just simply cannot get into the cave where you are at the time you want it.
    If this is of major concern for you, ie, you are working in an office and can't move out of your cave, there is a solution.

Call up Verizon Customer Support and explain your problem. If their Technical Support department cannot improve their cell site coverage into your office, then you have one other option.

You purchase a Verizon Cell Site Extender. ( Remote Cell Site ) I have one of these and it works like a charm. All it needs is access to a network LAN connection that stays on all the time. You plug in the LAN's Cat5 cable to it, move the unit over next to a Window so it can see the GPS satellites in the sky. You be very patient and wait for 15-30 minutes until it locates where you are in the world. Now, without removing the power from it, move it to a location where you can put it up out of the way, and your cellphone can access the signal from it.

works like a charm, I used mine for about 5 years before Verizon built up some local towers that I could get into.

As long as it has power, you can disconnect the CAT5 cable if necessary to get it to another room. Each time it looses power though, it looses the satellite location... I have not found this to be much of a problem, and usually it can figure out where it is.... I think it has a static RAM chip for the location info.

The_Chief likes this.