• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot mount as USB

zymler

Lurker
Nov 21, 2009
HELP please --- I have Win XP Home Edition and HTC Eris (which I love). However, I seem to have lost the ability to mount / unmount the Eris as a USB drive a few days ago. I HAVE transferred files from/to my sd card successfully, HOWEVER I can no longer do so. Regardless of whether I have USB debugging set or not, I NEVER see the "Mount USB" Notification any longer. It just "disappeared".

How can I get it back?

Thanks!!

HELP please --- I have Win XP Home Edition and HTC Eris (which I love). However, I seem to have lost the ability to mount / unmount the Eris as a USB drive a few days ago. I HAVE transferred files from/to my sd card successfully, HOWEVER I can no longer do so. Regardless of whether I have USB debugging set or not, I NEVER see the "Mount USB" Notification any longer. It just "disappeared".

How can I get it back?

Thanks!!

Does your (Win Xp) computer make any sound ("duh-dunk") when you plug the Eris in?

Does the LED on the Eris change to amber (assuming the phone is partly discharged) indicating charging from the USB cable?

Do other computers recognize the Eris? (That lets you know if the problem is your computer, the Eris... or the cable :( )

If the answer to all three of those questions is "no", then the problem is either the Eris or the cable, not the PC.

This doesn't sound like your problem, but I'll throw it out so it doesn't cause further confusion - on my Xp machine, if I have done everything correctly, and previously dismounted the Eris, I have to disconnect the cable and re-plug it before Windows sees the Eris a second time - you can't leave the cable plugged in continuously and get it to show up a second or third time.

Here's something else to try, if you think the problem is your computer, rather than the Eris - remove the Win Xp drivers (used by the Eris), and then plug the Eris in again after you have removed all the USB drivers for the Eris only.

Make sure the Eris is not connected to the PC before you begin.

Here are the Microsoft instructions for starting up the device manager so you can see all device drivers, even for devices which are not plugged in.

Not only do you need to set the variable "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" to be 1 in the environment of the "devmgmt.msc" program (as described in the above MS article), but you also need to set the toggle in the "View" pulldown menu to show hidden devices:

devmgr_viewhidden.jpg

Depending on how you have used the phone in the past (with the PC), there will be more than one driver for the Eris installed (you will probably be surprised how many there are) The debugger driver will show up at the top of the Device Manager display, as in:

MyHTC_driver.jpg

Uninstall the driver for the "My HTC" device (if it shows up).

Underneath "Disk drives" you might find one or more instances of "HTC Android Phone USB Device":

Disk_drives_HTC.jpg

Uninstall the driver for each of these occurrences (if they are there)

Expand the list underneath "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as shown below

USB_devices.jpg

This part gets a little tricky - note all the identical entries labeled only as "USB Composite Device", or "USB Mass Storage Device".

On each and every one of these you find, you need to:

- Right click -> Properties
- Click on the "Details" tab in the property sheet.

Then select the "Device Instance Id" in the Combo box (it usually is the default). What you are are looking for is something which looks like this:

USB_dev_0BB4-HTC.jpg

You should only muck with USB drivers which have the "VID_0BB4" identifier. When you find such entries, many (but not all) will have your handset identifier at the end (starts with HT9...).

Be careful - the objective is to only remove drivers used by the Eris - make sure that "VID_0BB4" portion of the Id string matches exactly - you might find that there are other USB devices with Ids which are close.

Uninstall every USB driver (Composite or Mass Storage) which has that matching "VID_0BB4" string in it - leave everything else alone.

(There should not be any need to reboot the PC, but feel free to do so at this point if you desire)

Finally, plug the Eris in to the PC - you should see lots of drivers get re-installed.

If nothing happens - then you either have a defective cable, defective connector (try a different USB port on your PC), or .... a defective Eris.

HTH

eu1

Reactions: ScarcelyAware
Upvote 0
I hate uninstalling, but I will do that as soon as I am able. By the way, no special sounds when I plug in. But I DO see amber light. Don't know how it will behave on another PC, but I'll try that next and let you know.

Again, many thanks!

If your PC is silent when you plug in the Eris, that seems more like trouble of a hardware nature than a software one, although I can't be completely certain of that.

Before you try uninstalling drivers, try a different USB port on the same PC (if available) and also on a different computer. If you get the same result (no reaction by a different host PC), that sort of implicates either the USB cable or the Eris.

Since it "takes two to tango", at the moment you can't be sure whether the problem lies with the PC, the Eris (or the cable). Observing the correct (expected) behavior on another PC would eliminate the cable & the Eris as the source of the problem, so if it is convenient to do so, I would try that first before anything else.

BTW, I'm not aware of any menu items on the Eris which "turn off" the USB function on the device... and also, "USB debugging" does not need to be turned on for the normal mount/dismount operations on the SD card.

Oh yeah, one more thing - do you have reason to believe that the SD card is working correctly for the Eris (can you open up music or camera shots on the SD card, or browse through the SD card with a file manager on the phone)? If the phone can't deal with the card correctly after it boots, that might also affect whether or not you would see the USB notification in the notification area. (Probably this is fine, but I thought I would ask.)

HTH

eu1

Upvote 0
i have the exact same problem of not being able to connect my eris to my windows xp pc. i am able to connect it to my mini notebook which runs on xp and my other laptop which is vista 32 bit. i have no clue how to get it to work, it just wont mount. it tells me mount, so i press that. then i see in the notifications area it go back to "USB connected".

Upvote 0

How can I get it back?

Thanks!!

It might be wise to try your Eris on another machine. That will tell you if its the Eris or your computer. Also, did you update to 2.1? If so, I think the mounting is somewhat a little different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones