• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot Mount System

darrenlamb

Lurker
Jul 21, 2010
Hi Guys,

So I have a rooted Desire, running cyanogen 6.1 with slidscreen launcher and its working fine. The only problem I am having is that I cannot mount/system. I think that this is why Typefresh wont work on my phone. The Root Tools custom font option wont work on my phone either. When I installed absolute system apk it told me that it cant mount system and therefore most of the options in the app cannot be used.

Is there something I can do about this? Re root maybe?

Any help would be really really appreciated

Thanks

Yes Android is running fine. I just cant seem to do anything that these root tool apps advertise. I cant delete apps that are included on my rom ie quick office (which I really want to get rid of), I cant install custom fonts etc. I am not much of a techie, so I dont know what s-off means. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail. Im sure I can handle doing whatever mod I need to do, I just need either a link to some instructions or a bit of an explanation.

I know its a pain in the arse but I would really appreciate it.

I seem to have most everything sorted with this phone except for this bloody mount system thing...

Upvote 0
S-off ignores the security flag so you can mount and edit system whilst android is running.

It Is actually a modified version of hboot from AlphaRev 1.5

Download the ISO and burn to cd. Boot pc from cd and follow instructions. It will flash new hboot to phone.

Then with apps such as root explorer you can mount system as read /write and delete apps

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help.

Before I do this though can someone confirm that the latest unrevoked will do the job as well. Unrevoked 3.21. I think it would be easier to do this way if I could as I dont have a PC, I am a mac user.

public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]

It says this on the website, regarding the NAND flash

Does this permanently unlock the NAND flash on my phone?
Yes. The default configuration of this tool disables the phone's security, which also disables the NAND locks placed on the storage by the bootloader. If you choose not to disable security, the /system partition will be read-only after the tool completes.

Does this mean that it will modify the hboot and give me full access to the the NAND flash?

Also will running unrevoked 3 effect my phone considering the phone is already rooted?

Thanks again...much appreciated...ive nearly got the bollocks to go ahead and do this last part!

Upvote 0
Hey Guys

So I burned the iso onto a cd and booted an old Windows XP PC to see if it would work. I have now messed up the PC and it wont boot into windows anymore. It keeps coming up with a blue screen telling me to chkdsk /f.

Any ideas on how to sort this out! My mate is gonna kill me for messing up his PC.

The problem is that its in Chinese, which I cant really read. I forgot to press f12 on boot up and I think I must have installed the driver on the cd into the pc and now I can figure out how to uninstall it...

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Hi Dan,

Thanks a million man that worked fine. Before I make a bollocks of this blokes computer again can you (kind of) confirm that I did what I thought I did?

Basically I didnt hold down f12 and I think (cos it was in chinese) that I installed the driver on the computer and I had to change the BIOS to redirect it to find windows again.

So if I do this again and actually hold down f12 I should be able to follow the instructions and s-off my phone, correct? I am just a little hesitant to put the bloody CD back in the computer at all...

Im nearly there man, and I appreciate the help here.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones