• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot play music after moving folders

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I absolutely love my Evo. Best phone I have ever had.

Anyways, I am posting because I have a weird problem that I cannot seem to solve on my Evo. I have searched the internet for answers, but I cannot find anything.

I was recently going on a road trip and wanted to put some more music on my SD card. I copied over several new mp3 albums in folders, then created new folders of the artist under the Music directory, then I moved the mp3 albums under these new artist folders. Since then I cannot play almost all of my music on the HTC Music application. I can however use file manager and go to these mp3 and play them individually (in the HTC Music App). Some of the new music actually doesn't even show up in the HTC Music players list of music. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps

1. Install different music player (called music player)
2. Go to settings, applications, manage applications, Music, clear data
3. Cut and pasting an ablum back into the root of Music, and trying to play it

None of these worked. How do I resync the music player to my new music media?

Any ideas would help. Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I absolutely love my Evo. Best phone I have ever had.

Anyways, I am posting because I have a weird problem that I cannot seem to solve on my Evo. I have searched the internet for answers, but I cannot find anything.

I was recently going on a road trip and wanted to put some more music on my SD card. I copied over several new mp3 albums in folders, then created new folders of the artist under the Music directory, then I moved the mp3 albums under these new artist folders. Since then I cannot play almost all of my music on the HTC Music application. I can however use file manager and go to these mp3 and play them individually (in the HTC Music App). Some of the new music actually doesn't even show up in the HTC Music players list of music. I have tried the following troubleshooting steps

1. Install different music player (called music player)
2. Go to settings, applications, manage applications, Music, clear data
3. Cut and pasting an ablum back into the root of Music, and trying to play it

None of these worked. How do I resync the music player to my new music media?

Any ideas would help. Thank you!

Try clearing CACHE for music player.

If rooted, clear your dalvik cache.

Also, there is a limit (don't know what) to how deep (folder within folder within folder) that the music player will recognize a song. Try moving the songs to the music folder, and no deeper.

Upvote 0
This was driving me absolutely bonkers.... Until I figured it out.

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All and select Media Storage > Clear Cache.

It will take your phone a little while to rebuild the music list. I figured it was a library contents file. I couldn't add any new music to mine. This has worked for me every time.

Anytime you add/move/remove music you need to clear this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones