• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot reinstall HTC apps

magarlick

Lurker
Jun 24, 2011
Dear all

First I apologize if this does not belong in this part of the forum. I am not really sure where it should go, so I chose this place because I at least have an HTC Desire. If somebody thinks the post should go elsewhere, kindly let me know and I will repost.

Now. I have just rooted my HTC desire, primarily so that I could remove a lot of the rubbish that came preinstalled on it. I also managed to switch it to s-off. The problem is that I accidentally deleted an app I needed to keep -- HTC People. I have an alternative contacts manager (Go Contacts) but it does not allow you to edit contacts -- so I need to reinstall HTC People (HtcContacts.apk).

Trouble is, it won't reinstall. I backed up every app that I removed before deleting them. Yet when I click the APK file in Astro (HtcContacts.apk) and select Install, it initiates the install process, the progress bar comes up but does not progress, and then the phone just reboots. Upon restarting, the program has not been reinstalled. I have tried several times. Other HTC apps that I removed also will not go back on. The phone just reboots each time and nothing changes.

Any ideas? I have USB debugging on and installing from unknown sources is on also.

Thanks a lot.

Hi and welcome :)

This should be in the root subforum, but I will press the report buttton and ask a mod to move it for you (no need to repost).

Couple of things. You shouldnt be using astro to back up apps now you are rooted. All it does is install apps back as user apps. This means that it installs apps to /data/app which is where your market apps install to.

HTC apps are /system/apps however, so need to run from within the rom.

Titanium backup (your must have backup and restore application) would probably have been able to restore this, but its too late for that now.

Click the red link in my signature and read the adb and fastboot FAQ. Set up your PC to use it.

Put your HtcContacts.apk on your C:\ so its C:\HtcContacts.apk

Then adb push it when your phone is in recovery.

the command will be:

Code:
adb shell
Code:
mount /system
Code:
exit
Code:
adb push C:\HtcContacts.apk /system/app/
This IS case sensitive. You may be able to buy root explorer to do this as you're s-off but I think for adding to system/app, adb is better

Reactions: cayaenator
Upvote 0
Hi, and thanks very much for your reply.

I do actually have Titantium Backup. But when I tried to restore from there, the app just sat there twiddling its thumbs for 15 minutes before I gave up.

I tried your adb method and everything was working fine. abd push worked properly. But now the phone simply will not start. It's got stuck in an endless reboot cycle.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones