• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot run fastboot

Lakrasia

May 27, 2011
London
My aim is to install froyo on my phone and I will explain in detail what I have done.

I have rooted the phone, though I need to run Universal Androot and Google Talk each time I switch it on for it to work.

I have installed ClockworkMod on it (3.0.2.7). I have ROM Manager and Quick Boot installed on the phone too.

I have found slightly different instructions, so I

1st thing is, you are using a GEN2 version of CMR, 3.0.2.7!!!!

That's for GEN2 only (3.0.2.7) , no warning when you are prompted that there is an update available.......dreadful stuff from ROM Manager....
mad.gif

Go into RM app on apps list in settings, and clear cache.....

then launch ROM Manager.......

Go to All Clockwork Recoveries at bottom......and tap

You should get a list, including 3.0.1.4......

Install that recovery, it is GEN1 for sure......

You may be prompted again by RM re update, ignore if on GEN1.

Hope this helps.

This having to run Universal Androot and GT does not sound correct, for a rooted phone.....

Are you sure you are rooted??

Try with this....free from Market: Root Checker | AppBrain Android Market

Also, to check Gen1 or Gen2: Ask Mr. Pigfish

Come back when you have verified......

If you need to root again, try this: [APP] z4root - xda-developers

you need to download the app, not available on Market!!!

follow the instructions from xda.

z4root is better than Universal Androot.....

Reactions: Lakrasia
Upvote 0
Thanks for such detailed instructions, Dannymur, but still no joy. You were right about my phone being gen1. I changed to a different Clockworkmod, but the device manager still showed that it's not working. Then I installed and ran Z4root and now I can't get Quick Boot to run.

I read that Orange have added new blocks recently and that I need a Hungarian TFT something or other, but I tried that and it made no difference.

I also tried to follow instructions to enable me to run apps from my SIM card, without upgrading to 2.2 - but my PC refused to copy a file, saying I need administrator access - I do have it, of course, so I have reached a dead end there.

I am astonished that Orange can sell a phone that is so much trouble to get working. Initially I couldn't do a thing with it until I rooted it - I couldn't even download apps and there isn't much point in having a smartphone if you can't even do that much!

As it is, it constantly gives me warnings of low memory and it runs very slowly.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Shadowninty, but do I really need to change to Gen2?

There are plenty of guides for upgrading a gen1 phone to froyo and I think the problem I'm having is to do with Orange blocking me from running fastboot.
if you search in Modaco you CA. find Gen1 TPTs

You may as well upgrade as the most popular ROMs are Gen2 and you can easily downgrade

Upvote 0
Thanks, I will try that next then. Must admit I don't entirely understand what I'm doing.

I only had the phone a couple of weeks, so it doesn't matter much to me if the data get wiped, but I've read so many warnings about permanent damage that it makes me a bit anxious.

If you downloaded and transferred the files without issue you'll be ok

Upvote 0
I'm sorry - you've both spent time trying to help me, but I am flummoxed. I downloaded the zip file, but I don't understand the instructions. e.g. it says to copy a gen2 rom zip file over, but I searched and couldn't find one. I don't know what nandroid is and I don't know how to flash something - presumably this is a fastboot command, which I can't get working anyway.

Although I have Clockworkmod on the phone, I have never seen the screen that so many sites show.

I am starting to think I'm out of my depth. It's not for want of trying - I have looked up so many terms to try and understand what I'm doing, but most explanations assume some prior knowledge and I’m going round in circles trying to piece it all together. I had hoped I could just follow the instructions I found, but as they aren’t working for me, I am at a dead end.

I think I might have to give up and see if I can find some software that lets me run apps from my SIM card instead.

Thank you both so very much.

I have to go out now, but I'll get back onto this tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Thanks for such detailed instructions, Dannymur, but still no joy. You were right about my phone being gen1. I changed to a different Clockworkmod, but the device manager still showed that it's not working. Then I installed and ran Z4root and now I can't get Quick Boot to run.

I read that Orange have added new blocks recently and that I need a Hungarian TFT something or other, but I tried that and it made no difference.

I also tried to follow instructions to enable me to run apps from my SIM card, without upgrading to 2.2 - but my PC refused to copy a file, saying I need administrator access - I do have it, of course, so I have reached a dead end there.

I am astonished that Orange can sell a phone that is so much trouble to get working. Initially I couldn't do a thing with it until I rooted it - I couldn't even download apps and there isn't much point in having a smartphone if you can't even do that much!

As it is, it constantly gives me warnings of low memory and it runs very slowly.

Have you checked with Root checker, you are rooted???

There is no reason why Quick Boot should not run, unless not rooted!! IMHO

I would uninstall, and then re-install, having checked your root status....with Root Checker.

You need to be rooted for most of the upgrade stuff to work!!

Instead of Quick Boot, why not use Blade Buddy, free from Market, which was specifically for Blade's....

This has a module for ReBoot, and it will tell you version of phone, like Pigfish....load of other things, in one App....

But, you need to check your Root status, and make sure you are!!

BTW, I would part company with my friend swadowninty, going to GEN2 before you learn the basics will not help you....IMHO

Of course, it depends whether you want to get to know Android, which will help with any Android device you may get in the future,

or you just want a working 2.2 or 2.3 Android device without learning all the stuff you learn by making mistakes.

BTW, going into Bootloader from Quick Boot is only necessary if you are installing a new image. Maybe you are talking about getting into recoovery....have you flashed Recovery from Rom Manager?? Remember the latest Recoveries from Rom Manager, like 3.0.2.7, are only for GEN2 devices.

let us know which version you have by launching ROM Manager,

Look at 1st Option, "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"....if it says current is 3.0.2.7....you got the wrong recovery version.

Let us know what you see.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much, Dannymur.

I have definitely made some progress. I reinstalled Clockwork Mod recovery (3.1.04) and flashed it. I used the app to reboot in recovery mode and this time there is no error in the device manager.

I am not sure whether I should be selecting something from the clockworkmod recovery menu with the volume buttons or if I should be using fastboot next.

On my PC I have a directory for running fastboot using the following batch file:

fastboot-windows flash recovery clock.img
fastboot-windows reboot
pause

I am guessing I should partition the SD card first, but I have come so far that I don't want to risk messing up now, so I hope you don't mind helping a little more.

I will look into upgrading to Gen2 another time, as I'm struggling a bit too much to cope with it now, but thanks for all the info, Shadowninty; it will be useful when I'm ready.

Reactions: dannymur
Upvote 0
I got an error message from CWM when I tried to flash froyo. My phone is now back to square one (from the factory reset) and I can't download apps.

I have to root it and then get Google Talk running and then download all the tools again and then use an even older version of CWM (according to another forum). When I finally get froyo running I will list the steps I took in case it helps someone else. I wonder if I'll have my phone working in the next week or am I being optimistic!

Upvote 0
This is it:

Installing update
Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Andoid 1.5
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages
Installation aborted.

Upvote 0
Brilliant!

Thanks so much to both of you. You have been so patient.

One problem may have been that I followed an old guide (all of 7 months old).

I can hardly believe it, but it I really do have Android 2.2 running on my phone!!!

Really glad to be of help, and play around with this for a while, install lot's of apps from market, pay for as little as possible, and have fun.......zzzzzz :D

5 mins later

OK, now for Gingerbread!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones