1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cannot sell my phone because it's tied to my account?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Android Question

I just switched from Verizon to Cricket. First when I switched, I just ported the number to my Verizon phone. I decided yesterday to just get a Cricket phone so I didn't have all the Verizon junk apps on my phone. I was also considering the new Cricket phone was $100 and doing a quick eBay search on a Motorola Droid Turbo phone, they're selling for around $200. So, I should make $100.

Well, before listing it, I decided to call Verizon to make sure whoever would buy it wouldn't have any problems activating it. They said because I ported the number out, as soon as the port happened, it tied my number to the Droid Turbo phone. No other numbers can be associated with this device. They did not lock the SIM. The SIM can be changed and the phone is not locked. But it can only be activated with my phone number.

They said this is common. Every mobile carrier, when you port a number out, it locks that phone so it can only ever be activated with your old number. It's illegal to lock the SIM on a 4G phone though. But the phone is forever associated with my old number and there is no way to unassocate it. And because of this, my phone can't ever be sold.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Phones using SIM cards are only associated to a phone number by the SIM card - change SIMs, you change the number. I've never heard of a phone being locked to a number. Locked to a carrier, yes. Think about it. What he said makes no sense. If the phone was locked to your number how would it be possible to pass the phone along to a new owner - whether you sell it, give it to a family member or friend, whatever. Maybe they just list the phone in your records by account phone number and that's what he was messed up about. Or maybe he was confusing phone numbers with IMEI numbers. I dunno.

When you port a number that automatically terminates your old service. Unless you still owed money on the phone Verizon should unlock it (from their service). And there should be no charge for unlocking the phone.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

The only way Verizon will hold you hostage is because you still owe them Contract money. If this is the case, you gotta pay up. ( but you said you ported the number out, and that can't happen if you owe a carrier money )

Call CS and get that phone released, it is illegal for them to hold your phone hostage if it is not registered to a working number.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  4. dorlow

dorlow Android Enthusiast

Yeah, I always paid my bill on time and my account is current. They didn't mention anything about owing them money.

5. dorlow

Ok, calling Verizon again and the next person I'm talking to says he's never heard of what the last lady told me either...

6. dorlow

Ok, just talked to the cancellations department at Verizon and he re-stated the first lady didn't know what she's talking about. FCC doesn't allow locking of phones unless the phone is on the stolen registry.