• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot send SMS due to dost in phone numbers

Bosher

Lurker
Nov 16, 2017
Hi.

I just got a new device with Android 7 after several years without a smartphone.

One of the upsides for me is the possibility to synchronize the address book with my email account.

I am nevertheless facing an issue : many of the phone numbers in the address book were recorded with dots as separators (e.g. : 32.56.48.12.56) or other special signs such as parenthesis as a way to make reading them easier.
It creates no problem with the phone app when I want to call, but the SMS app says the phone numbers are not valid and rejects them.

I remember that on my last android smartphone, I also had had this issue, that I got solved by using an alternative SMS app than the one shipped by default, which just ignored the special signs.

Does anybody also had this problem and how did you solve it ?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones