1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Cannot set defaults

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Heifzilla, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Heifzilla

Heifzilla Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    I am having an odd problem where I cannot get things to default where I want.

For example, when I click on a link in an email, the phone will ask me to "complete action using" the internet browser or the popup, and will ask me if I want to use it "once" or "always". If I choose "always", I get the following message: "clear default settings by going to settings > applications manager > all". And then the next time I click on a link it again asks me which to use and we repeat the process. If I click on a link for a forum thread, I get the choice of Tapatalk or internet browser, and the same "always" or "once" selection, rinse repeat. It just doesn't seem to understand that I want it to always open links in certain apps even though I am telling it to. When I go into the settings > application manager as directed to manage defaults, apps show as "no defaults set". I also can't get it to default to youtube or any other app for that matter.

Am I missing a step, or doing something wrong? It's really annoying that this comes up for every single link I click on.

TIA.

Sent from my Note 2

Advertisement

2. Kindie75

Kindie75 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Female
    Certified Surgical Tech
    AL
    I'm having this same issue. :(

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

We're seeing this reported around Galaxy Note 2 forums out there. I saw it for a while on mine, but it went away under odd circumstances: went to ADW EX Launcher, then decided to go with Nova. Since using Nova I've not seen it.

I don't know whether it resolved using Nova or ADW, to be honest because when I had ADW installed I didn't see it, but only had it on for a few hours.

Input here from others might clear this up.

4. Heifzilla

Heifzilla Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    I guess I can try another launcher and see if it goes away. I really don't mind Touchwiz, but it seems to have some irritating quirks.

Sent from my Note 2

5. 10sNinja

10sNinja Member
    None

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    Securities industry
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Same issue with me too. It also applies to options for video and music players. Mildly annoying and again makes me appreciate more Apple's generally quirk free user interface.

Has anyone found a fix other than using a different launcher?

6. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Male
    Garmin Tech support
    Kansas
    I had this problem with MoboPlayer, this is how I fixed it.

Settings>Application Manager>All>Clicked on the app I didn't want to use and Force stopped and unchecked show Notifications. Also solved the issue for Tapatalk and the internet.

7. Bodestone

Bodestone Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 17, 2012
    I think as well you can always launch one browser from one app and always launch another from a different app.

8. simonjh

simonjh Lurker
    None

May 22, 2013
    I have contacted Samsung in the UK at great length about this, both by phone and email, without getting a satisfactory response or even a comprehension of the issue.

I noticed that this was not an issue with non-Samsung phones. I therefore deleted the Samsung account on my phone and the problem appears to have gone away.

This is not a good solution if you want to use features related to your Samsung account. It appears that there is a conflict using the Samsung account. Possibly it is a conflict with the Google account - difficult to say, though.

Samsung ought to be working to resolve this - difficult though, if their staff don't comprehend the problem. Maybe there will be a resolution in KitKat. Who knows.

9. mntom

mntom Member
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Retired
    Minnesota
    I'm having the same problem as the OP. I've followed the same process as he did. Hopefully someone (or Samsung) will figure this out. It's not a terribly big problem, but just a nit that should be corrected.