• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot set new 'default' app

cfdenice

Nov 30, 2011
Hi,

The stock email app is my default email app, but according to the OS it's not set as the default, so I can't clear defaults on it. The 'clear defaults' button is not enabled (it's grayed out). So how do I set a different email app as the default?
The phone is not rooted.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.
What I would like to happen is when I tap on the email icon (home screen, bottom row) I want the email app of my choice to open not the stock email app.

Aah, okay. You are using the stock TouchWiz launcher. Open the application grid
wloux0.png

Press menu>edit now you can long-press the stock mail icon off the launch bar at the bottom of the screen. Find the mail app in your apps and drag that icon to the dock bar at the bottom and put it in the order you want it on the home screen.

Press menu again and choose save. Hit home and you're done. :D

Upvote 0
There are so many threads relating to default email, not sure if this is the best one to use, but don't want to create yet another...

Any way to change the default email app, as in, when I want to share something, and select email, my selected email program (K-9) is used? For instance, if from a page in a browser, I select Share Page, and select via Email, it tells me "Cannot find any email accounts configured on this device" (Gmail is a separate selection in the Share menu.). The same menu selection routine and selection list appear from any of the browsers (Dolphin, Firefox and Android's), so I presume this is a system function.

I'm currently using the GoLauncherEx launcher.

(oh... my first post!)

Upvote 0
There are so many threads relating to default email, not sure if this is the best one to use, but don't want to create yet another...

Any way to change the default email app, as in, when I want to share something, and select email, my selected email program (K-9) is used? For instance, if from a page in a browser, I select Share Page, and select via Email, it tells me "Cannot find any email accounts configured on this device" (Gmail is a separate selection in the Share menu.). The same menu selection routine and selection list appear from any of the browsers (Dolphin, Firefox and Android's), so I presume this is a system function.

I'm currently using the GoLauncherEx launcher.

(oh... my first post!)

k-9 should show up in that list just as gmail and email do, if not it is an issue they need to be made aware of.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones