1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cannot swipe screen unless I'm holding the phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidros, Dec 22, 2018.

1. droidros

droidros Android Enthusiast

Hi,

When my Moto Z is lying flat, on a table for example, it will not accept swipe input. That is, I cannot swipe left or right to a different page, or pull down the menu from the top. It just opens the app where my finger is trying to swipe, as though I selected the app instead of swiping the screen. This means it isn't functional if I am not holding it in one hand and swiping with the other. Any ideas why this is happening?

The other thing is that it does not recognize stylus input. My stylus works with previous phones, on my Asus tablet, and on my Surface Pro, but not on this phone.

Verizon had previously replaced my original Moto Z with this one, which is a refurbished phone. I don't think I had these problems with the original phone.

Do you think it is a problem with the phone, or is there some setting for the screen that needs adjusting?

Motorola Moto Z (Verizon)
    Oreo 8.0

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

It's the stock launcher, just install a different launcher from the play store. Nova launcher is great

3. droidros

Thanks for your reply. I actually use the Nova Prime launcher so that's not he problem.

4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Does it do it with the stock launcher too? If it does the problem's a little deeper but if it doesn't then try clearing data for Nova.

Rosm2004 likes this.
  5. Shotgun84

Honestly I can't really think of any setting on any Android phone that would cause that on purpose. Do you have a screen protector on? If so maybe it's interfering with the input.

Dannydet likes this.
  6. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

dont lay it flat?

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Interference possibly, when it's lying flat? Is it on a metal surface? Is it on charge?

8. Rosm2004

Rosm2004 Newbie

Hi have a Zagg screen protector but I've always used one.

9. Rosm2004

Rosm2004 Newbie

No, any surface. Plugged it unplugged.

10. Rosm2004

Rosm2004 Newbie

Thanks, I think it's fixed. I cleared the cache and also selected 'open' when viewing the Nova launcher Prime app in settings. It's working now!

Shotgun84 and Dannydet like this.
  11. Shotgun84

12. Shotgun84

I appreciate the thanks but I'm not sure I did anything at all :)

13. Rosm2004

Rosm2004 Newbie

Well, it wasn't fixed. After a couple of days the problem returned. After trying everything I took it to Verizon. They couldn't figure it out either, but, to my surprise, they sent me a replacement phone free of charge even though I was out of warranty. That's great except my new phone has the same problem! I HAVE to hold it in order to swipe -- to change screens, enter the security pattern, swipe text, anything. Furthermore, it isn't just when I lay it down flat. It doesn't accept swipe input even when I prop it up. So I can't just get a stand for it. It needs me to hold in my gentle hands!

Since this is happening in two different Motorola z phones, if nobody else is experiencing the same problem, I'm thinking it has to be an app incompatibility. But I don't know where to start diagnosing it without doing a FDR and starting over, which would be a real pain. I've ruled out the Nova Launcher because on the other phone I had uninstalled it but it was still having the problem intermittently.

14. droidros

So, I just talked to Motorola technical support and she had me disable the app preferences and start it up in safe mode. Still the same. She didn't have any solution except to replace the phone (again) but they would charge me $150 and I'd have to send my phone in first, wait for them to receive it, and then wait to receive the replacement. No thank you.

Then I discovered something new. If I lay it on or against something metallic, such as my laptop or even a metal pan, the swype works fine. It also works when it's plugged in, which might explain why I had thought it "sometimes worked" when lying flat.

So, it's not just a warm human body it needs, but something nice and conductive.

15. droidros

It's funny you should ask that. It actually WORKS if it is on or leaning against something metallic or if it's plugged in. So it apparently needs a conductive material.

16. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

hmmm..... Have you cleaned off the screen, maybe it is something simple as that.

17. Rosm2004

Rosm2004 Newbie

Yes. In fact this is happening on TWO different phones.

18. Milo Willamson

Reset both phones for a bit, then see what happen, could be a softwere manfunction.

19. droidros

I only have the one phone right now. I did a factory data reset without restoring any apps. Same problem. It doesn't seem to be related to software. The problem occurs before I even get to the Android system.

The phone has to be held, plugged in, or in contact with something metallic in order for swipe to function. i.e., it has to be in contact with a conductive material.

20. Milo Willamson

Well do you have a mod that is connected to the back, or do you have a rubber protecter that connects to the back ? Rubber is the only material, I can think ontop of my head that will be a non conductor.

21. droidros

No, the problem occurs whether or not I am using a cover or mod.

22. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Expert

It sounds to me like it's actually a feature on the phone rather than a problem..since you've been trying to fix it.

23. droidros

Why would this be a feature?

24. droidros

Update: Verizon has kindly replaced my phone again (the third replacement). This one works (at least so far)! I can swipe left, right, up, down and enter my security pattern while the phone is lying on a any surface.

The one thing I didn't do that I had done with the two previous phones was to transfer the Zagg glass screen protector to the new phone. I am still using the temporary protective film. I had installed the screen protector on the previous phones pretty much immediately. When I discovered I had problems, I did remove the glass temporarily but it didn't make any difference.

So, I'm wondering if just applying the screen protector could be affecting the screen. Is that possible?

25. Milo Willamson

It could be, possibly in different swipping motions, and it could be your default launcher too.

Motorola Moto Z Forum

The Motorola Moto Z release date was September 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.5" screen, 13MP camera, Snapdragon 820 processor, 2600mAh battery, and 4GB storage.

September 2016
Release Date
Reviews
Specs