• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot turn screen off in maps

adienpryde

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
I can't keep my screen off when Google Maps is active. On long stretchs I like to turn the screen off to keep it cool while plugged in or conserve battery when not but as long as maps is active I turn it off with the power button an the screen turns off but comes right back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Press the home button to go back to the home screen. That should keep the screen off. Then open Maps when you need to see it (using voice controls to start the app, or stop at a rest area or parking lot and make GM the active app.)

You will still hear voice directions if you are navigating.

Never had to do all that before the update. Used to just have to hit the power button and the screen would turn off, then push the power button again and straight to maps again without swipeing.

Upvote 0
Ok... here is a wild guess and it doesn't cover the issue that the problem isn't seen when Maps isn't running while in the car since this would happen if any app or just the home screen was showing... so this doesn't fit everything mentioned but was all I could think of.

If you've enabled the "Developer Options" and then also enabled the "Stay Awake ( screen stays on when charging )" option found in there... Then if you've got your T2 connected to the power and the connection is intermittent at times... when the connection is remade ( after loosing connection for a brief moment ), the screen would come back on and stay on ( at least until the connection is lost again later ).

Another possibility ( only I don't know of an app that does this )... If you've installed an app to make the screen stay on only when certain apps are running.

I know my own T2 doesn't exhibit the behavior and it's completely up to date... so the cause must be something out of the ordinary.

Reactions: smacksy
Upvote 0
As far as I remember, if you have navigation running and Google Maps is the foreground app, it will keep the display on. The trick to stop that, as I said, was (is) to switch to another app (or go home). You will still get voice prompts, you will have a persistent navigation notification. Again, this goes back to my first experience with Android, and I never recall it being different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones