1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Cannot Uninstall Apps!??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scudder, Jan 30, 2011.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2010
    Male
    Ex-attorney ("retired" at 27)...
    State of Confusion (FL too)
    Hello...

I'm having a couple issues with my EVO. I'm rooted but haven't flashed ANY custom ROMS. The only thing I done really root-wise is to flash a couple font packs and to backup everything with Titanium Pro.

Anyway, I have been having a problem where all the apps installed on my SD card will NOT launch. They don't even show up in the app drawer!! Occasionally, once every 5-10 reboots of the phone, the apps WILL show up but more often than not (and lately EVERY TIME I reboot) I can only access the apps installed on the internal phone memory.

The details of this problem have been laid out in another thread if anyone is interested in reading here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...alled-sd-card-not-running-not-app-drawer.html

Anyway, it has been suggested to me in the link above to free up some space on my card and with the internal memory of my phone. I have an 8GB SD card that was down to 250MB of space. That is now been cleared out so that 1.2GB is free.

Now, HERE IS MY PROBLEM going forward...

I've been trying to clear out some apps installed on the phone because I only had about 42MB of memory left and received a warning on the phone that space was getting low. I was able to uninstall a few apps to free up space to 61MB, HOWEVER, I CANNOT SEEM TO UNINSTALL APPS ANYMORE!! No matter what method I try...using an app like "Easy Uninstaller" or going through the Manage Applications option on the phone, it is NOT working.

If I use Easy Uninstaller or the Manage Applications route, I see the progress bar of the supposed uninstall but it just HANGS...never finishes.

In addition, ODDLY, as I look at my phone next to me as I type, all the information in the "Manage Applications" mode is stuck on "computing..." If I click on an app name to bring me to the Force Stop/Uninstall/Clear Data/Move to SD card, etc screen, there is NO information about the app!! The Storage information Total, Application and Data are "stuck" on "Computing..." as is the "Cache" information.

I THOUGHT my problem was with the card or reading the card. All the data is INTACT in the card. I can access anything with a file explorer. I can even view gallery pictures that I have saved in folders I have created ON THE CARD. I just can't get to or launch the apps installed the card and NOW it appears that the information associated with apps installed ON THE PHONE is now banged up.

Has anyone seen this problem with uninstalling apps?? Seeing the "Computing..." information just hang and not go anywhere?? Any thoughts on a fix short of doing a hard reset of the phone and/or Nandroid restore?? I'm not averse to a Nandroid restore, however, I am NOT sure if my underlying problem causing these issues is WITHIN MY BACKUP FILES :thinking:

THANKS!!

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    I'm starting to think your problem has been more related to internal storage issues than it ever was with potential issues on the card. Though, I do remember you saying you couldn't mount the card before. In any case:

1) Have you tried to force uninstall them with titanium backup? Find the app in the list, and select the uninstall option.
    2) If the above doesn't work, or simply doesn't help with your original issue, I'm going to suggest at this point that you verify you have all your apps backed up, then wipe data/cache/dalvik from recovery. Since you haven't changed ROMs, it should be safe enough to restore all system settings using titanium backup. As for apps, I recommend you go through the list one at a time, installing only what you know you need/want. You'll have to move apps to the sdcard as you install them so that you don't run out of space (sounds like you have a lot of apps). Use something called sdwatch to make that easier. I recommend you only restore app data when you know you need it (game scores, etc.). Otherwise, just restore the app itself. Keep an eye on internal storage as you do this. Try to keep around 100 MB free by the time you're done. Yes, this process will probably take a while, but if you have any kind of internal storage data corruption, this is how you're going to have to fix it. If you do this, once you're done, verify a few things. Make sure your apps on the sdcard all work, and make sure you can uninstall apps without any issues.

Tags: