1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Cannot uninstall or run Dolphin Browser HD

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Markusb, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Markusb

Markusb Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I have the Dolphin Browser HD (7.3.0) on my Galaxy Nexus (GSM). It worked fine.

Then I tried out the LastPass extension for it, the extension expired in 14 days and I uninstalled it. Now whenever I start the Dolphin, it crashes and causes the phone to boot (no kiddin...). I can't uninstall it either, same thing, crash and phone boots. I've tried and tried uninstalling it the normal way, thru Settings - Apps - Dolphin - Uninstall, just crashes. Pretty ugly...

I've also tried to reinstall it by downloading the APK, but that didn't help. I've cleared the cache etc, but when I get to the item 'clear history' it crashes. I also troied to re-install the LasPass extension, didn't help, so I'm at stuck.

Any idea how can I manually remove the browser and re-install it ?? Where are the files from the installation stored and what are they called?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Are you rooted, the apk itself is on the phones data partition which is inaccessible with out root.

Do you have any other Dolphin plug ins installed?

Markusb likes this.
  3. Markusb

Markusb Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    No other Dolphin Plugins installed.

The phone is not rooted, and I would very much prefer not to root it permanently (it's a corporate phone, I'm on a test-user alibi ;). I've dribbled a little (very little) with Linux, is there no way to access the partition with some console and sudo command??

My theory is that the LastPass trialware has left something nasty behind in the history folder (to prevent another trial period), it would perhaps be enough if I could clean out that folder.

4. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    You can uninstall apps via ADB (I think), I've never done it myself though. Have you used ADB before? There's a mini version and install instructions here: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html

I'm not sure if Google have changed anything ADB wise with Android 4.x and the Nexus so I want to seek a bit of clarification before I give you instructions. That ok?

Also might be worth checking if Last Pass has left any folders on the SD Card (or what the Gnex classes as the SD Card).

5. Markusb

Markusb Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks for your efforts! No, I've never used ADB, somehow I get the feeling that a more practical way is to restore the phone to factory settings, that would wipe it I suppose. But it is a hassle and I'm not certain the Dolphin problem would go.

I don't quite get it, how can the installer write to a partition if it is that tightly locked that it is impossible to get to when I want to delete a file or two?

BTW, The Gnex does not come with a place for a physical SD card, but has a /sdcard folder. Nothing there that even remotely hints att LastPass or Dolphin.

6. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The factory reset would wipe the partition the app and associated data reside, so I'm pretty sure that would sort.

You can write to the partition via ADB (Android Debug Bridge), so you can technically write/read it, but the phone needs to be connected to the PC to do so. I presume the app install process uses similar commands, but on the phone itself.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how the Nexus handles the SD Card as it's essentially part of the internal memory. It looks as if it does it in a similar fashion to my Asus Transformer.