• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot Use Pokemon Go with My Hotspot On

Shikkari

Lurker
Jul 20, 2016
Greetings! I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. Since the update on Pokemon Go, I can no longer play the game while using my phone as a hotspot.

I have unlimited data, for now, so please no judgements on that.

I would like to use the game while also letting my coworkers without unlimited data play as well.

Anytime I try to play with my hotspot on, it says I have no GPS signal. Google Maps works perfectly fine, however. When I turn the hotspot off it works, as well.

Not going to make any judgements about unlimited data, you got it, enjoy it. :) Just a guess, but it sounds like Pokemon Go has been updated so it must use WiFi location as well as GPS. And WiFi location data is not available to apps and games if you got the WiFi tethering hotspot turned on. I'm sure Google Maps can work with GPS data alone. Why they might have done that, possibly to prevent spoofing the GPS information and cheating the system.

There's been a lot of posts in the last week or so enquiring about faking GPS location, which I guess is for Pokemon Go. Maybe to try and play it in countries and regions where it would otherwise be unavailable, like China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones