• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't add Google Account in China??

I just bought the Xperia Ray in China and it comes without google search, google maps, gmail, gchat, calendar, etc., basically all the mobile google apps I'm accustomed to using.

In fact, I dont even have Google Market! I tried downloading and installing it from the web -- I successfully did this. But then it told me I needed to add a Google account.

I went to SETTINGS, AND ACCOUNTS SYNC on my Android phone only to find that there was no Google choice and I couldn't add a Google account.

Is this true??

Do I have to root? Will that solve the problem? Any other ways around this?

Reactions: godoo kinyalla
I am try to access Android Market. I get prompted to add an a/c. :thinking:

When you go to 'Add account' there are only options for KaiXin RenRen or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. :mad:

Does anyone know a way to add a google account? Any help would be much appreciated...

(NB I added Market using an .apk, and similarly MarketEnabler in order to access the Market as if I wasn't in China - if that helps anyone.)

Reactions: godoo kinyalla
Upvote 0
I Have the same problem, chinese phone Lenova whit android 2.3.
Really nice phone but no google linsence I think.
For me there is only a exchange account!!! No google at all.
The supplier can't help me.
So what can we do?? I have heart about rooting but don't know if that will fix this problem?
Regards Marc

Upvote 0
What do you mean whit added market using an .apk, i don't ubderstand this?? Regards Marc
I am try to access Android Market. I get prompted to add an a/c. :thinking:

When you go to 'Add account' there are only options for KaiXin RenRen or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. :mad:

Does anyone know a way to add a google account? Any help would be much appreciated...

(NB I added Market using an .apk, and similarly MarketEnabler in order to access the Market as if I wasn't in China - if that helps anyone.)

Upvote 0
What do you mean whit added market using an .apk, i don't ubderstand this?? Regards Marc

An .apk is like an .exe files in Windows.

You can download the programs (.akp files) then transfer them to your phone and install them. You can get the latest Market .apk here http://forum.xda-developers.com. Then open it using your phone's file manager.

But, if you dont have a gmail account registered on your phone then you can use it anyway. :(

Upvote 0
As far as I am aware, to answer the original question, rooting wont make any difference.

I found away to get the 'normal' android options and programs, at least for my Galaxy Mini S5570, and that's to reinstall the firmware. When it had finished everything was back to normal.

I found instructions and links to all the files I needed here: How to install Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread XXKPK on Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570

After that, everything was the same as a previous Android phone I had from the UK. (Also, I think it should be similar for the Xperia and Lenovo phone - just find the International/European version of the firmware.) :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones