• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't buy apps or use Google Listen - keeps asking for Google Account

I use Google hosted apps with my own domain for e-mail, calendar, chat, etc. and I use the e-mail address from that with my main Google account as well. So, both my Google account and hosted apps account use the same address. I had no problem setting up my account on my phone when I got it Friday, but I've been running into a few issues. First off, every time I try to buy an app in the Market, it asks me to set up a Google account to associate it with, even though I already have. Also, when I try to use Google Listen, it asks the same thing. Is there a way around this, or will I have to create a separate Google/GMail account?

Confirmed! Same problem here, now fixed.

This occurs when the email address you use to login to your Google Account is hosted on Google Apps. Android is not yet completely compatible with Google Apps so it gets confused by this.

You can get around this problem by changing the email address associated with your Google Account to one that isn't hosted on Google Apps (sloppy I know). Once this is done, it gets even more confusing. While you still only have one Google Account, you will setup two separate Google Accounts on your phone. The first will be your Google Apps email/password (not really a "Google Account" but the phone will see it this way) and the sync settings for this account will be ON (mail/calendar/contacts) like usual. The second will be your REAL Google Account (with the new email address) and the sync settings for this account will be OFF.

This allows apps like Picasa, Listen and Google Checkout to interface with your Google Account without being confused or redirected by your Google Apps account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones