1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General can't cast to tv

Discussion in 'Chromecast' started by corvairbob, Sep 15, 2016.

1. corvairbob

corvairbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2013
    i have 2 smart phones and they just will not cast to the tv. yes i have a chromecast dongle and yes i reset it and it comes up on the tv with chromecast 6263 pin1762 today. i have installed on both hones about 25 casting apps and none work. i see the castr trying to happen and when using google cast the pictures are there. when i start google cast and go to devices and tap the hamburg menu i get home with the hamburg menu bars then offers then learn then settings of which only notifacations are in that section then help and feedback. on some sites for casting i see when that hamburg menu is selected there should be a place for ready to cast? so where is this on my phones? they are running 4.3 android os i have been trying to run kodi on my phones and it will not cast. my chrome book will cast but kodi will not run on this. so what am i doing wrong or is it my phones are to old for the app to run good. a friend has the very same phone and app and his phone show that missing section. nw i don't have a sim card installed but i'm finding that hard to believe will cause this issue. so can anyone help me out here thanks a bunch

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    From what you've described it sounds like there's an issue with your local network. It doesn't sound like all your devices are on the same LAN. If all your phones and Chromecast are on the same local area network, and your Chromecast is paired up correctly with your LAN, your phones should detect your Chromecast seamlessly. Do you have a 'guest network' set up on your router? How is your home network set up? Do you have a combination modem/router box supplied by your carrier or do you have a carrier-supplied modem and your own wireless router?

Install this network scanning app, Fing from Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en
    Do a basic scan and check that all your devices are on the same network and receiving a valid IP address. Your scan should show your gateway (modem/router), your phones, your Chromecast, and any other devices (computer, laptop, tablet, etc.) using your home Internet.

3. corvairbob

None

Jan 3, 2013
    thanks i will try that but when i go to setting in the app it tell me the network and when i go to the phone i can see the same network. and the chromebook will cast so i know the dongle works. plus on the phone i can see the same picture the tv has on it and when the tv changes the phone changes. when i slide to devices and then go to the hamburg menu and press it the menu slides over and i do not have the option to cast. my friend at work did the same thing on his phone while was doing it on mine and he had the option to cast i did not and there were no cast dongles at work. so fo some reason i just don't have that small section. he had it under the home label then he had cast then others then learn then settings then help and feedback.

i have in the section home then others then learn then settings then help and feedback. no cast at all. my phone hase android version 4.3 on both phones. and i have a phone with 3.4 that will not even load cast so i wonder if the cast app is not compatible with the 4.3 android version yet. thanks

4. cdubl1

cdubl1 Lurker
    None

Sep 18, 2016
    I use localcast, because I couldn't use chromecast with kodi. I then had to embed a file called "playerfactorycore.xml" inside the user data folder. ???? This worked for kodi

5. corvairbob

None

Jan 3, 2013
    yes i did that also took a long time getting it all installed my fat fingers on those small keys. still will not work. i have a bunh of site in kodi set up and i can see them on the phone but they do not cast. like i said my app doesn't look the same a my buddies app and they are both google chrome case. in fact he downloaded it to make sure i got the correct one. still won't cast.

6. mgullick

mgullick Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Info Systems Analyst
    Northern California
    Double finger swipe down to get to the settings for airplane mode, etc. You should be able to cast the entire phone to the screen. I use this when I want to send a youtube video or something that "should" show the chromecast icon but doesn't for some reason. It works great. My daughter hadn't seen Minions and I had it on my phone in high def so I cast it from my phone to the TV. (I put a 200 GB card in the phone.)