• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't change default image viewer for Contacts, can't update image viewer cache

ktchong

Android Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2010
I've just added new PNG images to storage/extSdCard/media/images/, but Gallery would NOT display them. I repeatedly cleared cache and data of Gallery, but that has not worked.

I tried to assign a photo to a contact, but Android uses Gallery by default and would NOT let me pick an image app. When I disable/freeze Gallery, Android basically tell me "no picture is available on this phone" when I tried to assign an existing photo to a contact. How do I change the default image app for picking photos for contacts? (I've already cleared the default for both Gallery and Contact apps.)

I've just added new PNG images to storage/extSdCard/media/images/, but Gallery would NOT display them. I repeatedly cleared cache and data of Gallery, but that has not worked.

I tried to assign a photo to a contact, but Android uses Gallery by default and would NOT let me pick an image app. When I disable/freeze Gallery, Android basically tell me "no picture is available on this phone" when I tried to assign an existing photo to a contact. How do I change the default image app for picking photos for contacts? (I've already cleared the default for both Gallery and Contact apps.)

I believe Media is an Audio folder. Images are in DCIM/Camera
Anyway, how about do it the other way around.
Use the stock MY FILES (files explorer) application, select All Files - extSdCard - and allocate the file. When you select the file, it will ask you to open with app of your choice. Select Gallery, and once in Gallery, from the MENU go to SET AS - Contact Info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones