• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't change Gmail without factory reset? WTF?

teikyo30

May 29, 2011
How is this a SMART phone if to change my Gtalk email address I have to backup all my data and do a complete reset? Can you imagine having to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows to change your email address? How stupid would Microsoft look if you had to do that?

I've been using Ebuddy and Nimbuzz and a few others and decided to log on with Talk tonight, but it has my old email address. So I hit settings sure in my mind I can just edit the account details. Nope.

I switched from a Windows phone to an Android phone thinking "Android does", but in reality it feels like "Android does half-assed and only a little better than iPhone". Is that the case? My Windows phone didn't have this issue and that was on a Samsung SCH-i760. Know when that came out? 2007. A phone from almost 5 years ago could change email addresses with no issues, but my Thunderbolt can't.

And I know someone will mention rooting the phone, but let me remind all of you that you don't have root access to Windows phones and they cooperate. I was really on the fence with Android. Topped with it being slower overall, not being able to disable apps from pre-loading etc, is really annoying. Like Angry Birds. Using it launches 44 other applications. There's nothing on my Windows 7 rig that calls up 44 other applications and used 93% of my memory till my system comes to a halt. One game on my Thunderbolt does, though. I have to reboot the phone to get it back to normal. And the reboots aren't gone like they promised. Never had that happen with a Windows phone. Not one single time. I seriously hope IF we get the Gingerbread update it fixes all this crap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones