1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't change my ringtone, factory reset?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roadie1015, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Roadie1015

Roadie1015 Well-Known Member

My phone has been acting pretty funky ever since I installed Jelly Bean. Then just a little while ago my phone played a ringtone I've never heard before, but I had no notifications or missed calls or anything like that.

While trying to figure out what it was I noticed all of my ringtones were set to "unknown ringtone" (they were fine yesterday). When I try to change them it crashes and says "Unfortunately, setting has stopped."

Think it's time for a factory reset? is there anything I should really backup before I do it? I can reload my music and apps pretty easily, and contacts will sync automatically right?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

yup contacts would sync auto and so would calendar but just to be safe u could export the contacts to ure sd card. If ure phone is rooted u could make a backup of the apps with titanium backup which would backup apps + data of those apps. Factory reset is recommended after update.

3. Roadie1015

It says something about decrypting files on the SD card, then it says "You cannot use files on the SD card after a factory data reset."

What does this mean? Do I need to do something with the SD card before I do this?

By the way, I'm not rooted, no external card, on Verizon.

4. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

ok if u dont have an external sd card make the backup of the contacts and transfer it to ure pc and save it.

5. Roadie1015

Ran the factory reset yesterday, it was much easier and quicker than I expected. My phone seemed to be running better yesterday but today I keep getting error messages that say "unfortunately, _____ has stopped."

Anybody know why this is?

The Backup+ Media app was one that kept stopping, I couldn't disable it without root but I unchecked everything it was trying to back up, I'll see if that works.

Not sure about the battery yet either, already down 6% in less than an hour, but I've been using it a lot trying to get my apps configured the way I like them. We'll see if it helps at all.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews