1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can't connect my Redmi 8A dual to my windows 10 laptop! URGENT!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by pasinduvibahaliyanage, Jun 22, 2020.

1. pasinduvibahaliyanage

I have a Redmi 8A Dual phone (MIUI version 11.0.7), and I cannot connect it to my windows 10 (version 2004), via USB cable to share files. I have checked by enabling the USB debugging, USB debugging (Security) etc. And I have checked the MTP USB device and there is no issue with that , but still when I connect to my laptop and select the file transferring in my phone the drive or the phone icon is not showing in 'This PC' . Please help me to sort out this URGENT!!!!

please refer the attachments !!!

Attached Files:

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Check your cable. Some of them are "charge only" or they do not follow USB-C pinouts properly.

Hadron and pasinduvibahaliyanage like this.
  3. pasinduvibahaliyanage

Its the orginal cable that I have got with the brand new phone!

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Then try a different cable anyway. You may have a dud (seriously, I have known this to happen).

Unlocking the phone and enabling file transfer/MTP should be all that's needed. USB debugging will do nothing unless you have an app called "adb" installed on the computer (which is not needed for simple file transfer).

5. lunatic59

You can also try different USB ports on your PC. If you have any USB 2.0 ports, try those.

6. pasinduvibahaliyanage

Yeah I have tried them already nothing worked. Thank you very much for the info.

7. lunatic59

When you plug your phone into your laptop, open the device manager and see if you see any android devices listed. It would look like this under portable devices.

2020-06-22.png

Davdi and pasinduvibahaliyanage like this.
  8. pasinduvibahaliyanage

But it's chaging without any issues.

9. pasinduvibahaliyanage

No its not showing like that. It only shows the MTP USB devices! :(

10. pasinduvibahaliyanage

But its charging without any issues even I connect to laptop.

11. lunatic59

Charging does not mean there is a data connection. There are three possible reasons you are not getting a data connection.

First is that your cable is bad or wired to be "charge only". This means that out of the 5 wires only two are connected. You will need a different cable.

Second would be that your phone resets to charge-only mode EVERY time you make a USB connection. To check this you plug your (known good) cable into your phone and laptop. If there is a data connection, on your phone you should see USB options in your notifications. Pull down the notifications and tap on it. Make sure File Transfer/MTP mode is selected. It will then drop the charge only connection and reconnect as storage.

Third, you have a faulty USB port on your phone. That's a hardware issue and would need to be serviced.

12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Yes. The dud cable I received worked fine for charging, was useless for data. This is perfectly possible.

ocnbrze likes this.
  13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

You mean the one that usually plugs into supplied charger? Yeh, that could be a charging only cord, that's not wired for data from a computer. Definitely try another USB cord.

ocnbrze likes this.