• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't connect to AF from Tapatalk

Why would you not support Tapatalk plus your program? I mean that kind of reminds me of Sprint telling me what programs I have to have on my phone. Some definite cyber Natzi stuff happening here. I was really going to go premium but after seeing this, definitely taking me aback.

Tapatalk was added with reservations from the owner of the site. When Tapatalk had some security problems and some of the staff of this forum in particular were targeted it was removed and the owner no longer wishes to have it. Pretty straight forward really, I'm not sure how this compares to the Nazis or anything sinister. :thinking: I also fail to see how anyone is telling you what to have on your phone.

Upvote 0
Tapatalk was added with reservations from the owner of the site. When Tapatalk had some security problems and some of the staff of this forum in particular were targeted it was removed and the owner no longer wishes to have it. Pretty straight forward really, I'm not sure how this compares to the Nazis or anything sinister. :thinking: I also fail to see how anyone is telling you what to have on your phone.

Uh, I can promise you the very software (Vbulletin) you are using for your forums has had and will continue to have security issues. Tapatalk resolved the security problems very quickly and they are no longer of concern. Not quite sure how your Admins were targeted directly without offenders having direct access to their devices or EIN's. If somebody wants these forums hacked with any sort of ability whatsoever they will more than likely be hacked.

As for not being able to see how this tells me what I should have on my phone, it tells me that I can't use the most popular, stable and widely used forum software available today on my droid to view these forums. Instead, I have to sign up to be a premium member to gain "beta" access to a program developed by nobody I have ever heard of before, if I want to enjoy the convenience of non browser based forums activity.

Upvote 0
They are just trying to explain what they have no control over, please remember these moderators didn't make that decision and some amount of our staff wants it back just as bad as you do.

However, as OTD said - it really is pretty straight forward and has been explained several times in the past.

It was removed for security reasons - yes. We know that breach has passed and is no longer an issue.

That is not why it was not reinstated.

Short answer - it was a battle to get it installed to begin with, a battle I (eventually) won after voicing what I was seeing the community wanted, over and over. Rob, the owner, finally agreed and put it on. When the security deal hit, we had to remove it quickly in a moment of panic - and now there will be no convincing to bring it back. Not so much BECAUSE of the security deal, but more because he didn't want to do it in the first place.

Especially since, yes, we now have an app in the works to provide that functionality. It is still a ways away but it is getting there.

This is not the moderators' decision. This is not my decision. It is Rob's, and he has been very clear with me that it is not coming back. I respect what he has decided. Unfortunately I'm the one that has to relay it here but that's part of my job.

I've made it clear to him that some have asked for it back, and when it flares up every so often I mention it that to him as well. I will mention this thread I'm sure.

But I will not push for it. He has said no several times and is tired of hearing about it from me.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you have more to say about it - your best bet is to PM Rob directly.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
They are just trying to explain what they have no control over, please remember these moderators didn't make that decision and some amount of our staff wants it back just as bad as you do.

However, as OTD said - it really is pretty straight forward and has been explained several times in the past.

It was removed for security reasons - yes. We know that breach has passed and is no longer an issue.

That is not why it was not reinstated.

Short answer - it was a battle to get it installed to begin with, a battle I (eventually) won after voicing what I was seeing the community wanted, over and over. Rob, the owner, finally agreed and put it on. When the security deal hit, we had to remove it quickly in a moment of panic - and now there will be no convincing to bring it back. Not so much BECAUSE of the security deal, but more because he didn't want to do it in the first place.

Especially since, yes, we now have an app in the works to provide that functionality. It is still a ways away but it is getting there.

This is not the moderators' decision. This is not my decision. It is Rob's, and he has been very clear with me that it is not coming back. I respect what he has decided. Unfortunately I'm the one that has to relay it here but that's part of my job.

I've made it clear to him that some have asked for it back, and when it flares up every so often I mention it that to him as well. I will mention this thread I'm sure.

But I will not push for it. He has said no several times and is tired of hearing about it from me.

Sorry for the inconvenience. If you have more to say about it - your best bet is to PM Rob directly.

Thanks.

Awesome response and you can bet I will shoot him a pm. Is it okay if I do a poll asking how many people would like to have the option of using tapatalk? I am willing to bet that it is a majority of your users.

I just don't see myself shooting over money for premium use when I can't even use tapatalk here. It is a terrible shame too, because there is so much information here.

Maybe it can be installed as a benefit of premium use?

Upvote 0
Awesome response and you can bet I will shoot him a pm. Is it okay if I do a poll asking how many people would like to have the option of using tapatalk? I am willing to bet that it is a majority of your users.

I just don't see myself shooting over money for premium use when I can't even use tapatalk here. It is a terrible shame too, because there is so much information here.

There have been a few polls in the past with very little response. I don't think it would be a problem if you started a poll as long as the discussion remains civil in the thread.

The beta Phandroid app is for premium members to test right now, but it will be available to everyone when it is finished so nobody is asking anyone to pay for its use.

Upvote 0
Thanks for being open about the issue. Thats a plus. I've been part of forums that Admin and Mod staff liked to keep the inner workings behind the wizard's curtain.

That being said, yeah, still don't get the deal with "just say no to tapatalk". I'm sure Rob has his (valid) reasons, but sometimes even the chief has to listen to the voices of the indians.

There are many, many things I don't like about Microsoft, my car, et. al. but I deal with them because the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Thumbs up for the comms.

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0

What forum would that best be suited in? Looking over the forum make up it is very obvious to me why there would be little response. I am willing to bet if it was a site wide poll in the announcements section, that the response would be ALOT bigger.

Upvote 0
I just purchased the tapatalk app only to find this out. I thought it was going to be the perfect way to start contributing more. This is very disappointing.
I am trying to decrease the number of apps on my phone, so the last thing I want is to have to install yet another app just for this forum.
I know I am only one person so it doesn't matter much, but I do strongly protest this needless inconvenience. You are ruining the perfect little android world I live in.

Upvote 0
I appreciate that y'all are trying to make something nice, but in the end it comes down to: Is this something that other forums can use as well (a tapatalk replacement)? if so then great. If not then I still have to deal with forum segregation. I like to have al my comics come from one place, all my news feeds in one place, all my twitter updates in one place, and all my forum stuff in one place. Now sure some of those can be combined I suppose, but the opposite is not true. I would not like to get some of my news feeds in one app and then have to go to another app for the rest. Same applies here.

Upvote 0
The thing that kinda irks me about this is that when tapatalk was pulled, we were told the phandroid app would be available by the end of august...today is November 5 and now we're "still a ways away."

They're doing their best. It's quite a project, a huge undertaking, and those predicting an app in a certain time frame were not the developers, they were the ones who wanted it that quickly: the administrators.

Premium members and staffers are testing it. Grab a Premium membership and help with the development of this thing. ;)

Upvote 0
The thing that kinda irks me about this is that when tapatalk was pulled, we were told the phandroid app would be available by the end of august...today is November 5 and now we're "still a ways away."

IIRC, they said they were hoping to have it out by the end of August. Unfortunately, for what ever reason, it didn't happen. It's still in the works though and IMO (i.e. not being a developer) I think it's looking quite nice!

I appreciate that y'all are trying to make something nice, but in the end it comes down to: Is this something that other forums can use as well (a tapatalk replacement)? if so then great. If not then I still have to deal with forum segregation. I like to have al my comics come from one place, all my news feeds in one place, all my twitter updates in one place, and all my forum stuff in one place. Now sure some of those can be combined I suppose, but the opposite is not true. I would not like to get some of my news feeds in one app and then have to go to another app for the rest. Same applies here.

Looks like it'll be AF only. But it'll be free (not that it matters since you already paid for tapatalk).

Don't forget, you can always access the site from the browser on your phone. No additional apps required! :D

As far as getting tapatalk back, the admin above mentioned that if you REALLY want it back, your best bet is to PM the owner. Just keep in mind that the owner is the one who pays for the site and everything is ultimately HIS decision (regardless of what you or I may want).

They're doing their best.

Premium members and staffers are testing it. Grab a Premium membership and help with the development of this thing. ;)

This! If you really want to get the BETA app, that's how you can do it! :)

Upvote 0
The app is not only for AF bandroid forumsut includes news feed from its sister site Phandroid as well as some other great features (that's still in the works). So in my opinon, when the app is finally done and you get to use it, you'll find that it'll be much better than tapatalk :)

I won't be around. I can see right through this and to the motives of this site owner. There are 100's of android forums, I am new here, so no one will miss me, i will go where my phone works.

Upvote 0
I won't be around. I can see right through this and to the motives of this site owner. There are 100's of android forums, I am new here, so no one will miss me, i will go where my phone works.
I am sorry to hear that. I don't know what kind of motives the owner has that you don't like other then giving the members the best user experience from all of the AF/Phandroid sites.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Picking up a +5 flame shield, I am of the opinion that Tapatalk needs to support forums that don't support it, with the additional layer of compatibility for sites that wish to install the extension. I mean, let's face it, forum interaction on phones sucks. It really does. The input lags, the input box is too big, so it scrolls/bounces back and forth as you type... it's really a mess. But I think if somebody really cared, they could put together an Android app that determines the brand of forum (vBulletin, Invision, or phpBB, those are the big 3 players) and then reformats the board to a mobile-friendly interface, e.g. with each post in its own bubble with the username, post count, join date, etc., above (other fields can be ignored). Then when you go to post, it's in a native Android app, not a web form, and the post, once completed, is basically copied and pasted over. If Tapatalk made this and bundled it with their app, that would be ideal.

As for this forum and Tapatalk, I think it's just unfortunate that the site's owner says "Because I said so" through an intermediary. And he "Has his reasons". Seems to me he's not a big Android fan, and that hurts the site's credibility. See, one of the biggest complaints about Android is fragmentation, and by, in a way, contributing to fragmentation by not supporting an Android app made for forums (although, the argument that it was a pain to install is a valid one), is contributing to the argument against Android. (Although, Android is quite factually fragmented, so it's almost a non-issue.)

All that being said, I paid for Tapatalk and expected a lot more forums to be using it. I couldn't find any forums I liked in its directory. I don't have it installed currently because my crappy Samsung Acclaim gets more crappy the more apps I put on it. If AF added Tapatalk support, it wouldn't make me reinstall Tapatalk. It would be nice, but I'm not worried about it. I primarily paid for Tapatalk, in fact, because for years I've been saying somebody should make an app like it, and I felt it deserved the $3-4 it cost just for doing something I wanted, even if no sites I use support it. Except my idea was for a dial-up friendly forum browser for Windows, something that skipped the CSS and other data and only loaded the text. Like something like Outlook for newsgroups, but for forums.

Just my opinions. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones