• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Connect To Exchange Corporate Email

WorldBuilder

Dec 15, 2009
Hi all,

Just got a Droid 4 from my employer, a local municipality. I am their new (and first) Director of IT. Brand new here, still learning the IT environment, but it is, shall we say, challenging...

Anyway, I do know that we are using Exchange 2003. OWA is up and running.

When attempting to connect my phone to corporate mail, aside from certificate mismatches (to be dealt with later), I get the following error:
The device does not support this server version. Please contact the server's admin.
Short of upgrading Exchange (which is gonna be a while), is there anything I can do to get this working?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Crash,

I appreciate the suggestion. I also thought of Touchdown. But the truth is that we shouldn't have to pay for an app when the built-in really oughtta work. So I played...

I did get it working natively. Here's what I found out, and perhaps this will help others.

The error message I was getting, telling me it was not compatible, was hardly accurate.

I also have a Thunderbolt (personal phone), so as a test, I tried to get work mail on that. That didn't work, either, but was giving me authentication errors as opposed to compatibility errors. Weird...

Now, our OWA has a trailing "/exchange" at the end of the URL. After getting the first error on the TBolt, I decided to try again, but removing the trailing "/exchange". Wouldn't you know it, but it worked!

So I then tried the same thing on the D4 and voila! Old Jed's a millionaire.

I don't know the reasons behind this (why using the full URL doesn't work, but using the URL without the "/exchange" does), but it's working now. If someone can explain it, I'm all ears.

Chris

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones