1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can't connect to most things?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flu13, Jan 8, 2012.

1. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    I haven't used my Nook in quite some time...like a few months. Today, I charged it up, and I can connect to the web just fine using Dolphin, but I can't connect to the Market or the Amazon App Store or Gmail or Pandora or.... I'm running CM7 if that matters.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

2. Grey1001

Grey1001 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    NorCal
    maybe try flashing the latest market that's out ?

3. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Dec 5, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Detroit, Michigan
    Try clearing the caches and app data for the apps that don't work. If it doesn't work try updating the gapps, if you don't have the newest version, and then updating Pandora and the other apps not working through the market.

Are you using the latest stable version of cyanogen?

4. flu13

flu13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Good thoughts. Where can I grab the latest gapps/market to try?

ETA: Huh. Nevermind. I just picked it up to try clearing cache, and it suddenly is working. Weird.

5. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Dec 5, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Detroit, Michigan
    Well, that's even better lol. Is it still working for ya? Btw what version of cyanogen mod are you running, just curious.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Hope it's not CM7.1 stable, 'cause then you'd have something to try... .:D

7. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Dec 5, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hey hey, what's wrong with stable? Lol something you didn't clue me in on ;)

On that note... I have alot of problems with 253 nightly, but from what I've heard 7.2 stable is on the way.

8. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I'm a big fan of nightly builds when something new and exciting is available (like ICS?) or a stable build is near. That's not really the case now. #253 came out when? November? So it's no longer nightly or new. :D

Don't count on 7.2 stable any time soon with CM9 coming soon.

9. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Dec 5, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Detroit, Michigan
    I read that they have 7.2 release candidate ready, just waiting for finalization, but who knows, you are probably right. I did think to myself, why would they bring out 7.2 with ics on the horizon

10. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    After 7.1 stable came out, the current code became 7.2 alpha, but I think too much has changed for a stable release to come out, but I'm just guessing. :D

ChiweN likes this.
  11. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Dec 5, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Detroit, Michigan
    Thanks for clearing that up. That does make more sense. ;)

FWIW I installed phiremod stable the other night, from rom manager, since Ryan quit and took all of his links down, and I actually like it.

Its pretty much the same as cm7, being that its just a tweaked version of cyanogen, but it seems to run better on my nook than cm7.1 does. I was getting some phantom input clicks while typing and using apps on cm7, no problems on phiremod like that yet. It also seems to be more responsive and runs lighter too. I also have more ram available on pm than cm. An extra 60 MB on average.

Its a shame he quit, but I understand and respect his reasoning. I do think he went a bit overboard on removing all of the links, he could have at least let people use what he already finished lol.

Its a shame he wont be updating, because as soon as cm9 is released, phiremod is hitting the curb.

Funny thing is that since I've gotten my nook color I haven't touched either of my android cell phones other than for a text or phone call. I need to get back to my project on my phone, but tinkering with the tablet is just so darn fun!

12. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I was updating a lot of stuff yesterday, including the root section sticky and had to remove Phiremod when I couldn't find any download links. I was an early adopter, but became disillusioned when the buttons were too big and didn't look/work properly in a bunch of apps. When I started DL'ing nightly builds, I found no reason to go back.

Did you see my unofficial CM9 download? :D That's CM9 code, but not an official nightly build.

Sounds like you're like me. I spend more time tinkering/tweaking than actually sitting down and using an app.

13. ChiweN

ChiweN Android Expert

Dec 5, 2011
    Network Administrator
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yea, I checked it out, very cool stuff. Makes me excited and a believer that we will actually see ics on the nook!

And yeah, Im the exact same way. I think I've spent far more time actually messing around with this tablet than even using it lol. I can't help it, I guess its the nerd in me :p

The problem with phiremod that you mentioned must have been sorted out through subsequent releases, luckily I haven't run into that problem yet.

Considering the latest build of phiremod is kinda current, if you want to put it back up I can either rehost phiremod 7.1 stable rom, and the phiremod gapps, or send them to you so you can host them somewhere. Let me know :)