1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can't connect to PC via USB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by g3troll, Mar 1, 2011.

1. g3troll

g3troll Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I have a functioning SD card in the phone.

When I connect the factory USB cable to a PC, I get a vibrate and it starts charging.

But I never get a notification "USB Connect".

As a result, I can never connect to it. I have to remove the SD and put it in a card reader on the PC.

I tried it on windows XP and 7, same result.

Advertisement

2. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    After connecting the cable, pull down notifications on the phone. You should see an entry that says something like "charge only" or "pc connected". Click that and select mount from the pop up. If you don't see anything like this unplug the usb and-

Go to menu > settings > applications > development

un check usb debugging. Plug in the cable and try again.

3. computerjedi

computerjedi Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    I had this same issue with my son's phone. The factory cable would not allow him to mount the phone to the computer, but would allow the phone to charge. I hooked the phone to my computer, using another cable, and it worked without any issues. So, long story short, try a different cable. I had a bad factory cable too.

4. brickrd

brickrd Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I'm having similar issues. Half the time, as the OP says, the phone will not acknowledge the USB connection (other than charging) at all, and yes, I've tried with and without USB debugging; it seems random. On the uncommon occasions that it does work, it is impossible to access the device as a drive. Windows 7 seems to have driver Down's syndrome when it comes to this phone. I have tried fruitlessly, multiple times, to force Windows 7 to use the correct driver (the one I got from the Samsung website), and it still seems to want to use either "mass storage" drivers or "portable devices" drivers. Which would be fine if either made it possible to access the device and transfer files. Even when I can access the drive, I can't move files or do anything else in it, as Windows 7 thinks it's "no longer located in Computer."

I don't want to buy a new cable for no reason if this just plain isn't going to work, because it seems so completely ****ed up that I have little hope.

While I'm at it, the wi-fi on this phone doesn't connect even when it's switched to "on," it just gives me a red question mark and calls the network "remembered," but that's a different issue entirely.

I'm not a phone elitist. I like this phone fine. I just want it to work.

5. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    bryckyd: you might try connecting the phone to the PC using a slow USB1.1 port, not a 2.0port. on my high-end laptop running XP SP3, connecting on a 2.0 port is hit-or-miss, mostly miss. However, connecting on a 1.1 port, like on a USB Keyboard, or USB port on an LCD Display, connections are 100% reliable.

Also, you can move files back and forth to the phone using FTP. Download SwiFTP server from the market to the phone, and download FileZilla or another FTP client to the PC. That is 100% effective for me as well.

6. brickrd

brickrd Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    SwiFTP does not work for me as I have no wi-fi and I'm not able to get any FTP client to connect to my web proxy server, thanks anyway. I also don't think I have any USB 1.1 ports.

7. brickrd

brickrd Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    UPDATE: I have fixed my wi-fi problem. My solution was unusual so I'm not sure how many people have the same problem, but I figured I would post it anyway.

My router was configured for permit-only MAC addresses. For those who don't know, every device with a wireless networking adapter has a unique "physical" address called a MAC address. My router was configured to only speak to certain MAC addresses (in my case, my computer, my brother's and my dad's). What makes me feel dumb about this is that I'm the person who enabled MAC filtering in the first place. I don't know how common this is for other users, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

This has absolutely solved my USB problem for the time being. Although it would be nice to be able to use the USB cable for data (I have ordered a replacement microUSB cable as well in hopes that it might work), FTP transfers do the job fine for my purposes. I recommend the FTP solution for anyone with a working wi-fi connection to their home network. Thanks stef7.

8. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    brickrd: you are most welcome. sorry for misspelling your username. I'm glad you can get your task accomplished via FTP. Files can be moved via BlueTooth, but it's a hasstle. Over FTP, you can do drag and drop just as if you were connected with a hard cable, which I like alot.

you have another option as well over wifi besides FTP that will provide more functions. look at a download for the pc and the phone called MyPhoneExplorer from the web, and from the Marketplace respectively.

But, a program like MyPhoneExplorer will do synch operations and allow files to be moved and a lot more, but over WiFi. You merely have to make sure your computer's Firewall ports are set appropriately. Google it. I think you might like the program and the additional functionality.

I hope a new cable fixes your issue. honestly, try your phone and your USB cable on a slower computer, perhaps something that has 1.1ports (you could try a friend's USB keyboard... it probably replicates ports that are slow/slower). Investment would be small if you got it to work and the new cable doesn't fix your issue (I tried another high-quality microUSB cable, but it didn't solve my problem... but others on other forums indicated their cable was bad... you never know). If your computer is a desktop, try the ports in the back of the machine.

Personally, I think there is something wrong with the back/forth comm exchange when the phone is initially connected to the PC... as if the USB driver/chipset in the phone isn't capable of connecting with some 2.0ports. i'm thinking possible timing issue. Maybe the Froyo upgrade will fix, or maybe it is lower-level stuff that is not quite right.

The USB driver that is available from Samsung's site isn't for connecting the phone to the PC just to move files. It is a USB Modem driver used for synching or tethering the phone (tethering not allowed with VM anyway).

9. EdAndInn

EdAndInn Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    My Samsung Intercept connects fine to my Windows Vista Laptop and Windows 7 Laptop. After connecting phone to Laptop using stock USB cable, I get USB icon in Notification bar and when I pull down the notification bar, i see "USB Connected" message. I tap on it - I get Mount, Don't Mount options. When I select Mount option, I get window with many options on my laptop. I select Explore Files and then can access folders/files on my USB.

10. brickrd

brickrd Lurker
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Just want to update this one more time and say that a new USB cable has my Intercept connecting properly with Windows 7. I'm a believer. I bought this $5 USB/MicroUSB cable from Newegg and it worked immediately. If you're having this problem, buy a new cable, and remember to mount your SD card. I went from being extremely frustrated and skeptical to now having two options where I initially had none.

11. kcmartz

kcmartz Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    School
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Try this:
    On Android:
    Apps>Market>Search "SwiFTP"

On Desktop:
    Install any FTP program (I recommend FileZilla)

On android:
    Open SwiFTP, then on desktop:
    open filezilla, in quickconnect add the settings displayed in SwiFTP

You connect to the SD card (or root if you pick that in SwiFTP) via internet (I recommend WIFI but I think 3g will work :) )