• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't connect to PC

madmonk

Jun 27, 2010
Sorry I know this has been covered before but the suggestions in the previous threads are not working for me.

I have checked the USB debugging (to on, presumably).

Downloaded HTC Sync on PC as the PC is not recognising the phone at all. It simply says when trying to open in My Computer as "PLease insert disc into drive E." I've set the Default Connection Device to all options; HTC sync, disc drive (not bothering with internet sharing) - neither work. However the charge only setting does work.

The USB lead supplied doesnt look like a car charging type. How can you tell?

The HTC Sync screen on the PC doesnt even register that the phone is connected.

I have no interest in syncing with Google contacts or calendar, however I would like to be able to transfer calender info and contacts to the PC, and transfer from the PC, music and applications to the phone.

Suggestions, you clever people?
I'm obviosly doing something really stupid - please go easy on me.
icon7.gif

From HTC's how-to's....

Setting up HTC Sync to recognize your phone

After installing, set up HTC Sync to recognize your phone.

1. From the Home screen, press MENU, and then tap Settings > Accounts & sync.

2. On the Connect to PC screen on your phone, tap HTC Sync and then tap Done. Your phone attempts to find HTC Sync on your computer. Wait for a few seconds for the process to finish.

3. If your phone displays a message indicating that it’s unable to find HTC Sync, try disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable, and then repeat step 2.

4. When the Phone Connection Wizard is displayed on your computer, click Next.
Enter the name you want for your phone, and then click Finish.

Check the HTC Sync icon at the bottom-right side of your computer screen. If it appears green in color, that means your phone has successfully connected with your computer and HTC Sync recognizes your phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks. phone now recognised.... however, My Computer still will not open phone. still gives same message as before. insert a disc into drive E. rechecked HTC so that pc sees it as disc drive but no go.
sorry to be a chew.

Are you sure E: is the drive letter assigned to the phone?

Since the phone is recognized by the PC and it doesn't seem to work, I'd try these steps. Unplug the phone from the PC, restart both the phone and the PC. When the PC is done booting, plug your phone in and see if the autorun box pops up. BTW, what OS are you running on the PC?

Upvote 0
Sorry for delay,

Many thanks, i did manage to get it synced up with a PC, however for whatever reason, although my contacts were transferred to MS outlook my calender info was not. Maybe thats something to do with me not wanting them transferred to google account also.

Running XP.

Now I'm having the same problem as started with, trying to sync up to my laptop. Again it just doesn t even recognise that phone is plugged in. Odd.

Upvote 0
Thanks. phone now recognised.... however, My Computer still will not open phone. still gives same message as before. insert a disc into drive E. rechecked HTC so that pc sees it as disc drive but no go.
sorry to be a chew.

Dont know if im missing something here but you have to select disk drive (when plugged in via notification area) to be able to view the drive in windows and htc sync to use htc sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones