• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't connect to WiFi after installing new router

sierrapup

Lurker
Sep 16, 2011
On CM_Tenderloin
CM9 nightly

Just installed a new Pace router from AT&T and can't acces internet when on Android. Lists the network and says "Saved, secured with WPA/WPA2." When I click on the network it gives an option to connect. I click that and it just goes back to saying the same thing as above. Wireless is connection fine in WebOs and on all other Android devices I have.

Oh - and I have already tried switching wifi channels....

Thanks in advance for any help : )

How many other wireless devices are you supporting on your local network? If this won't be highly problematic for your other wireless devices, try the following:

1. Go into your wireless settings on the new router and turn off security.

Check now to see if the Touchpad will connect to your wireless network successfully and access the Internet.

2. Go into your wireless settings on the router and enable security using basic WEP encryption.

Check again to see if the Touchpad successfully connects and accesses the Internet.

3. Go into your wireless settings on the router and enable WPA2

Same as above.

One thing that it "could" also be is your chosen password. Are you using a long and complex password? Or something comparatively simple? Do you have letters and numbers and special characters in the password? Or just letters? You might want to experiment with the password format as some manufacturers don't implement security 100% consistent with published standards...

Upvote 0
On your router, try changing encryption method to WPA/WPA2 TKIP+AES.

Try channel 1 or 6 or a channel between.

Also turning off wireless N might help too. (might be speed of 54 mb).

Find out what works, then you can tweak it. :D

Hi, I discovered through much trial-and-error that my new tablet apparently will only connect to wifi on channels 1-6. I wonder if this is a common "feature". Could you please explain why some tablets seem to be limited to channels 1 through 6? Thanks!

Upvote 0
What rom (CM7? CM9?) and build date are you running? (Settings... about tablet)

Should mainly be an issue with CM7 or CM9 prior to around June I believe... a limitation of the older wifi driver.

To be feature-complete, everyone should be running a nightly build of July 7 or later.

Upvote 0
How many other wireless devices are you supporting on your local network? If this won't be highly problematic for your other wireless devices, try the following:

1. Go into your wireless settings on the new router and turn off security.

Check now to see if the Touchpad will connect to your wireless network successfully and access the Internet.

2. Go into your wireless settings on the router and enable security using basic WEP encryption.

Check again to see if the Touchpad successfully connects and accesses the Internet.

3. Go into your wireless settings on the router and enable WPA2

Same as above.

One thing that it "could" also be is your chosen password. Are you using a long and complex password? Or something comparatively simple? Do you have letters and numbers and special characters in the password? Or just letters? You might want to experiment with the password format as some manufacturers don't implement security 100% consistent with published standards...

Some routers do not like unusually long device ID's. On the TouchPad, it can be changed to something shorter by going to settings/developer options, tap on Device Hostname and change it to something shorter. I use TouchPad as my device hostname.

Upvote 0
What rom (CM7? CM9?) and build date are you running? (Settings... about tablet)

Should mainly be an issue with CM7 or CM9 prior to around June I believe... a limitation of the older wifi driver.

To be feature-complete, everyone should be running a nightly build of July 7 or later.
I'm a newbie in Android so I appreciate your patience. In "about tablet" I could not find any CM number. I ran the "check for updates" and it says it's up-to-date. Here's what I found:

Model number:
Q8

Android version:

Baseband version:

Kernel version:
along@along #5
Tue Aug 14 15:53:08 CST 2012

Build number:
nuclear_q8_a13-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20120714 test-keys

Upvote 0
Here's my CM9 nightly screenshot:

Screenshot_2012-10-16-16-15-24.jpg

Note:

• Model number (cmtenderloin = Hp Touchpad)
  • CyanogenMod version (9= CM version 9, aka CM9)
  • Build date (Sept 3, 2012 nightly build)

If you don't have a similar screen, it's you have:

1. a different device (not an HP Touchpad and you're in the wrong forum :D) or
  2. different rom (not Cyanogenmod)

My money's on number 1... :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones