• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't connect to wifi

Sorry for the long post.

I have had the HP Touchpad for about a month now and love it. My problem is that I can't connect to wifi and need help. I have the latest webos that seems to connect fine. I loaded cm7 which sometimes got the internet, it seems only if webos wifi was turned off. I upgraded to cm9 alpha 2 by using ACMEInstaller2 without deleting anything and was able to connect to the internet only 1 time. I have tried to forget, start new connection etc. on my home network but get no bars even though it says signal strength is excellent. I also tried these steps with my results in ():

1. Boot into WebOS and make sure your wifi connects. Use your browser for a sec and then boot back to CM.
(Wifi works on webos not android)

2. Delete your wifi profile:

start the terminal app

type su and tap enter
the pound sign # turns to a dollar sign $
type rm -rf data/misc/wifi && reboot and tap enter

For clarity that's rm(space)-rf(space)/data/misc/wifi(space)&&(space)

Reboot your TouchPad.

After your TP reboots, you will have to reestablish the SSID and password for every AP you use.

(when I go to terminal app and do rm etc.. it said read only and will not execute)

3. Go to Settings -->WiFi --> Menu --> Advanced --> Keep wifi on during sleep --> Always

4. Download Clock Sync, configure it for your timezone and set it to sync on boot.(An incorrect date or time can screw up
wifi and several other things in Android)

The last thing is I can't side load any fix apps since I can't seem to get android recognized by my computer. I read somewhere on the net about adb and got all the java requirement for android onto my computer but when I try to do an adb from touchpad it says device not found so I may be doing something wrong there as well.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

Hi bha, sorry you're having so much trouble.

First, is the problem your TP or your router? Can you connect to ANY router? If you can't connect to ANY wireless (public, coffee, restaurant, library) then concentrate on your touchpad.

For starts, it's been recommended in many places not to upgrade CM7 to CM9 for the touchpad. Many of us have had a lot less trouble once we booted into recovery and formatted data. (Make a backup in Titanium Backup and recovery first.)

You might want to flash this wifi fix: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/500774-rom-cm9-tenderloin-nightlies.html#post4041907

wifi settings: some say that a lower channel on your router, like 1-6 is best, but I don't buy that. Setting your router to use "G" (not "N" exclusively) helps. (Mine says "up to 54 mps.) Also change security using WPA or WPA2 with TKIP.

How old is your router? If it's more than 3 years old or doesn't do "N", replace it. You can get a Netgear N150 for $45 at Walmart. I've had lots of routers and that's the best.

This is good if you're in a apartment/condo or congested area: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/429699-wifi-channel-optimizing.html

Upvote 0
I think it is anywhere but wil try the library today, although webos even has trouble at the library sometimes. I did try the router thing. My router is dual band 2.4 and 5 and under security the options were:

Security mode:
disabled
64 bit wep
128 bit web
wpa/wpa2-personal(psk)

Authentication:
wpa-psk
wpa2-psk
wpa-psk+wpa2-psk

I did not see tpik so I did not mess with it.

I guess I will try a clean install of cm9

Upvote 0
="colchiro, post: 4090945, member: 144334"]Hi bha, sorry you're having so much trouble.

First, is the problem your TP or your router? Can you connect to ANY router? If you can't connect to ANY wireless (public, coffee, restaurant, library) then concentrate on your touchpad.

For starts, it's been recommended in many places not to upgrade CM7 to CM9 for the touchpad. Many of us have had a lot less trouble once we booted into recovery and formatted data. (Make a backup in Titanium Backup and recovery first.)

You might want to flash this wifi fix: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/500774-rom-cm9-tenderloin-nightlies.html#post4041907

wifi settings: some say that a lower channel on your router, like 1-6 is best, but I don't buy that. Setting your router to use "G" (not "N" exclusively) helps. (Mine says "up to 54 mps.) Also change security using WPA or WPA2 with TKIP.

How old is your router? If it's more than 3 years old or doesn't do "N", replace it. You can get a Netgear N150 for $45 at Walmart. I've had lots of routers and that's the best.

This is good if you're in a apartment/condo or congested area: http://androidforums.com/hp-touchpad/429699-wifi-channel-optimizing.html[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones